JP18 Build Thread, Jacksonville FL

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Dwight
Site Moderator

Re: JP18 Build Thread, Jacksonville FL

Post by Dwight » April 10th, 2019, 5:44 am

I appreciate it Rusty! Next on the list is the whip antenna and ball mount. Then the Ramsey 6000 winch and winch plate followed by the rear amber fog lights. Finally, the best top soft top and hardware. Should be 100% complete then.

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » April 13th, 2019, 1:49 pm

Just an update since my last post. Have been out enjoying the Jeep a lot lately. I'm not particularly one for attention, but I love the reactions I get when people stop and ask if they can take a photo because their kids love Jurassic Park.

I recently ordered a screen accurate ball mount for the whip antenna. So grateful for other JP members who have collections of discontinued parts. Going for screen accuracy, it really helps having these parts available to buy from other members. And I know there are parts that are "close enough", but any chance I get to actually get ahold of a screen accurate part, I can't pass it up.

Also, my Mirror Tag and Key Chain came in from JurassicParkProps on Etsy. He does quality work and even the key chain has a nice little touch. The attention to detail made the purchase more than worth it. I mean I'm sure I could have made my own mirror tag but I don't mind supporting our members at all.
Screen Accurate Ball Mount.JPG
Screen Accurate Ball Mount.JPG (621.95 KiB) Viewed 13921 times
Mirror Tag & Key Chain Tag.JPG

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » April 13th, 2019, 9:30 pm

One issue that i've had since painting the Jeep, and if anyone could help me narrow down the possibilities, i'd be very thankful. So....where do I begin....So the right side of the jeep works 100% but.....the left side is a completely different story......

HEADLIGHTS OFF - left turn signal doesn't work

HEADLIGHTS ON - Left turn signal indicator comes on and stays on....Neither the rear light comes on, nor does the front side marker (right side does).

HEADLIGHT ON / LEFT TURN SIGNAL PUSHED DOWN - front marker comes on, rear light comes on but stays lit (doesn't blink like the turn signal should).

HAZARD SWITCH TURNED ON - all lights flash appropriately

** this all started after painting**

checked the connections for the rear lights and everything is plugged in as it should be.

MY THOUGHTS:
1) could it be a grounding issue since i painted? Took the rear driver light and driver side marker off, wire brushed the screws and reinstalled...NO LUCK....not sure if i need to sand down the inside of the screw holes in the tub where the screws go through and hold the rear brake light to the jeep?

2) could it be the turn signal relay under the dash? Not sure if that was bad if any of the turn signals would work.....the right side works fine so if the relay was out, wouldn't the right side not work as well?

3) could it be a bulb? Not sure because even the left side light comes on when the hazards are on....i tried switching the bulbs around on the rear of the jeep but still the same issue with the left side

im at a loss really.

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » April 14th, 2019, 1:45 pm

its a ground. did you disconnect any chassis grounds before painting? i am not familiar with ground locations but isnt there one inside the rear tail light housings? i would start looking on the inside the fender under the hood somewhere. maybe a multiple ground connection for the headlights and other things all on one bolt.
I am John Sisemore on Facebook

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » April 14th, 2019, 2:56 pm

I'll take another gander, but the only thing I disconnected was the actual rear light plugins. I know that the rear lights are ground by the bolts that hold them to the body. The bolts screw through this metal plate inside the tail light housing, and into the tub of the body.

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » April 14th, 2019, 3:06 pm

it could have paint in the threads back there for the tail lights.
I am John Sisemore on Facebook

jp41
Vehicle Make/Model: Jurassic Jeep 41

Post by jp41 » April 14th, 2019, 8:53 pm

100% grounding issue... good luck finding them. when you find the grounds, sand the paint to bare metal and it should fix it.. common issue on all vehicles..

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » April 17th, 2019, 6:58 pm

Just made it back into town from a work trip. Thanks for everyones advice. I agree with everyone that it's most likely a grounding issue. I will tackle that as soon as possible. In the process of moving prior to leaving for another week long work trip. In the meantime, here is a picture taken while out and about.

's Baseball Game.JPG

JP Junkie

Post by JP Junkie » April 18th, 2019, 9:51 pm

Beautiful looking jeep!

May be I missed it, but what size tires did you chose? 235?
Jurassic Park Jeep 10: Completed - Location: Minnesota
https://www.facebook.com/JPMaintenanceJeep/
Remember... a correct font is as important as the correct paint color!

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » April 19th, 2019, 9:09 am

Yep! I went with 235/75R 15. The 30's rub slightly when you turn the wheel all the way so didn't want to go with those.