JP18 Build Thread, Jacksonville FL

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Dwight
Site Moderator

Re: JP15 Build Thread, Jacksonville FL

Post by Dwight » November 3rd, 2018, 5:07 pm

So being the obsessive compulsive person that I am, I was wondering if this is normal or not. From photos i've seen it doesn't seem to be normal, and i'm not entirely sure if its broken or what. But these little black square sections that go around the glove box are loose and somewhat stick further out than the glovebox door.
IMG_5848.JPG
IMG_E5847.JPG
I know the photos aren't the easiest to tell, but if you look at this one I posted originally, you can definitely tell on the right side what I mean. You may have to open the photo to get the full version.
image1-6.jpeg
If its a simple fix that something is loose then great. If its broken, it might be easy to use some gorilla glue and glue it back in place? Or is it just normal and i'm just over thinking it lol.

Ingen Snoopy

Post by Ingen Snoopy » November 4th, 2018, 12:32 pm

Those should definitely be flush with the glove box door. It looks like the bottoms have been pulled out. Looks like the bezel around the radio has been pulled out at the bottom right too. It's pretty apparent in the last photo. I'm not sure what the fix would be.

That looks like a nice Jeep though! Congratulations on the find!

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » November 4th, 2018, 3:47 pm

Thanks for the reply! Im going to take out the glovebox and most likely just fix it with some simple gorilla glue.

RustyRodder

Post by RustyRodder » November 5th, 2018, 3:42 pm

Very nice!

Paint the centers seperate. If you ever have tires installed, the caps have to come off. If they are painted as a unit, it can mean some peeling paint and damage.
JP25- Jurassic Park Maintenance, 1988 Jeep Comanche
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2680

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » November 6th, 2018, 5:52 pm

I finally took the time to learn how to put the soft top on that came with my Jeep. Was a daunting task for sure being my first time doing it. I believe I have everything good to go. Really only a few things to note. The rear window brackets are only held in by a single little screw/nut. Seems like there should be 2 screws holding it into place but that would require drilling another hole into the body on each side. Also the rear window plastic tabs that tuck under the brackets don't tuck super tight like the rest of the top.

I have the rear bow tab up to the third hole so everything seems nice and tight. Even still I can tell the noise difference between the hard and soft top. However, it seems like so much more fun to throw the top back, secure it, and cruise around topless.

Still need for it to rain or take it to a car wash to test for any leaks.

I'll most likely end up selling my hard top once i've done a few days of driving with the soft top just to make sure everything holds up.

When I get half doors, do I have to buy a whole new top to go with those? I feel if I bought just some soft top uppers they wouldn't match since the top I have now is clearly worn somewhat. I could be wrong since i'm very new to all of this.

Let me know what you all think about how the soft top looks. Is is the right color according to the Jurassic Park Motor Pool Reference Page?
IMG_5862.JPG
IMG_5863.JPG
Here is a photo with the top thrown back. I secured the top to the bows with 2 tie down straps just for a little added security and to prevent anything from bouncing around.
IMG_5866.JPG

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » November 9th, 2018, 6:29 am

spice is the correct color. Other than that you will have some issues switching to half doors. You will need to source the top frame section for the door also. I think the colors will be slightly off between the new material and the old but it will work itself out in the wash. So the saying goes. Interesting...your top hardware is different than a 92. It actually looks better functionality wise.
I am John Sisemore on Facebook

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » November 9th, 2018, 10:31 am

I’m not sure what you mean as far as sourcing the top frame section for the half door. Do you mean my current top hardware wouldn’t work with half doors? Would I need an extra part? Or do you mean the little rail that would go on the top for the soft upper to connect to?

I think I know what you mean that my top hardware looks different. In the movies it seems like when the top is off all the hardware is in the middle of the jeep. Wonder why mine is this way? I’m going for screen accuracy. I thought the hardware was the way it is in the movie because of the half doors.

I guess I don’t know much about all this but I do want things to be screen accurate.

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

JP15 Build Thread, Jacksonville FL

Post by ratrace427 » November 10th, 2018, 4:39 pm

I will have to post some pics of the screen accurate setup. the half door is just that. a half of a door. the top half of the door is just a frame for the top.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

JP15 Build Thread, Jacksonville FL

Post by ratrace427 » November 10th, 2018, 4:42 pm

I think you will need to buy a entire soft top setup. the rear of the door frame is also different for soft top. you will need a new top and frame from what I see in your photos. if screen accuracy is worth the money. I know a bestop top will be $500

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » November 10th, 2018, 5:43 pm

Yea, talking with Victor, most likely i'm going to end up buying the Replace-A-Top Bestop (Sailcloth) and the Hardware to go along with it. Gonna cost a pretty penny but quality and screen accuracy are important!