South Dakota 1989 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JP #10

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Dodgeman23

Re: South Dakota 1989 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JP #10

Post by Dodgeman23 » April 5th, 2019, 12:09 pm

Dwight wrote:Sweet pics! Was just some snooping on other build threads. As for your grinding when going into reverse, these things didn't have synchronized gearing. What I do is (since I park it in gear), I put it in neutral, throw it up in 1st gear real fast THEN into reverse. Haven't had a single grinding since I started doing that.
I will try doing that! I have just been turning it off, then putting it into reverse and starting it any time I back up, Its kinda a pain in the @$$.

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » April 5th, 2019, 3:32 pm

"Before shifting into Reverse, do a quick/momentary shift into 1st (or any forward) gear and then shift into Reverse. No need to do anything but keep the clutch pedal on the floor for the momentary shift into 1st gear before shifting into Reverse. Your shift into Reverse should be grind-free if you use that technique which is required for any transmission that does not have a synchronized Reverse gear as most Jeep transmissions don't have."

Just a little more information about it. I had the same worries with mine, but ever since I started doing this quick/momentary shift into 1st then to reverse, I haven't had any issues.

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » April 6th, 2019, 12:11 pm

the 4 liter had a different transmission than the four cylinder but if you are talking about the 4 liter version then i have experience. I dont notice a bad sound going into reverse so if its a bad grinding vs a 1/2 second chunk sound, then there might be a issue with something. ummm..it is hard to explain sounds but it shouldnt grind more that lets say one tooth before engaging. What about holding you clutch pedal down for a extended time to allow the transmission input shaft to stop turning or spool down completely. Once the internals have stopped turning then there shouldnt be any noise at all. You could also press the clutch in before starting the jeep, that will prevent the input shaft from spooling up.
I am John Sisemore on Facebook

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » April 6th, 2019, 2:46 pm

He has a 1989 Jeep Wrangler Sahara which has the 4L, so i'm pretty sure its just the lack of synchronized gearing causing his grinding when going into reverse. It's completely normal, but you can eliminate it by doing a momentary shift into first and then into reverse. I had the same exact issue when going into reverse until I did a bit of research.