PNW #27 TJ

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
jmcallis

PNW #27 TJ

Post by jmcallis » October 26th, 2013, 1:57 pm

I wanted a YJ this fall for the sole purpose of making a canon looking jp jeep. However this spring my commuter cabriolet died and this old girl cannot do freeway speeds.Image
So I began the hunt for a stock YJ. Best one I found was a Rio Grande without a pricetag that spent a decade on the pacific coast, it showed, and they wanted 6995$ for it, I smiled politely and left. This 97 TJ SE was what I found in my price range at dealer of all places. I would like to say I haggled and talked them down on the price, but according to them the previous day they offered it to someone for 4000$, 2000$ less than originally asked, There may have been smoke blowing somewhere but, I tend to believe people. This is how it looked when I picked it up.
The first thing I bought the next day were the four correct rims 100$ on craigslist. The spare luckily was already good to go. Not until very recently I decided to purchase decals from Ratrace427 and at the same time happened to see a single proper used tire on ebay for 61$ on ebay as the current spare was oversized.
Simple green works wonders.
The "opportunity" presented to me is that this isn't a yj but I still want to make it somewhat canon. If I paint the TJ next year the Willys will get the same paint, red stripes and all. As of now next spring I only plan on using plastidip to paint the rims and stripes. I'll likely change my mind a few times before spring as it is a long ways off.

MrScorpio

Re: PNW #27 TJ

Post by MrScorpio » October 26th, 2013, 10:54 pm

Hello and welcome.

After watching the old black and white The Lost World (1925) late one night I thought about the possibility of painting up an old Willys Jeep JP style. Instead of Sand Beige and Red I wanted to do it up grey-scale since I grew up on old black and white movies (technically back then everything was black and white, lol). Anyway, good luck with your build. Looks like you are off to a good start and I can't wait to see how it turns out.
1993 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
JP #21

Oklahoma State Dinosaur: Saurophaganax which can be seen in Oklahoma at The Sam Noble Museum

jeepassicpark

Post by jeepassicpark » October 30th, 2013, 9:34 am

I think I might also have to go with a Tj Jeep. The few Yj's for sale in my area are beat up and rusted out. Do you plan to use paint for the main color, and then add red plastidip?

jmcallis

Post by jmcallis » November 10th, 2013, 1:22 pm

I like the ideas for gray scale. And yes paint for the main color. Undecided still if the red will be plasti dip. I thought I changed the settings to email me when I got a post.

jeepassicpark

Post by jeepassicpark » November 10th, 2013, 7:06 pm

I went to go see a 2004 TJ Sahara today with 100,000 miles for $13k, and another 2004 TJ sport with 72,000 miles for $11,000. How many miles does your Jeep have?

AdamT
Completed JP Jeep

Post by AdamT » November 10th, 2013, 8:05 pm

jeepassicpark wrote:I went to go see a 2004 TJ Sahara today with 100,000 miles for $13k, and another 2004 TJ sport with 72,000 miles for $11,000. How many miles does your Jeep have?
Jeepassicpark,
Wouldn't you rather own a YJ even if you can't find one with the right interior? If it were me, I would rather have the correct body rather than the correct interior.
-Adam

jeepassicpark

Post by jeepassicpark » November 10th, 2013, 10:27 pm

I definitely would like to own a YJ if I could find a decent one within an hour and a half of me. Even the TJs are difficult to find around here.

jmcallis

Post by jmcallis » November 10th, 2013, 11:12 pm

Only 159,000 miles when I bought it. It is the California model but it looks like someone pulled the extra emissions equipment off.

jmcallis

Post by jmcallis » November 10th, 2013, 11:38 pm

Interiors are usually pretty rough in my area with a soft top. The carpet I pulled out of mine looked pretty rotten or will be if I don't just throw it away, I'm saving it in my shed for some reason. A YJ might look worse in my area, unless I find a 95 with a galvanized tub they tend to look holy, wet carpet seems to be bad for metal who knew. I already have plans to paint the dash and door panels with some rustoleum tan bed liner. The center console turned out good looking, the floor not so much. A previous roll on job was not removed and it flaked up.

AdamT
Completed JP Jeep

Post by AdamT » November 11th, 2013, 12:23 pm

Just an idea guys, I know it's more money out of your fund and you don't have the liberty of checking out the jeep yourself but if there is no YJs in your area, you could pay an extra $300-400 and have the jeep shipped. Just an idea. I know it's more work and more money.
-Adam