JP88

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
SoCalSteve
Completed JP Jeep

JP88

Post by SoCalSteve » July 30th, 2013, 7:39 pm

After reading through JurassicJeep.com, posting my progress here seemed like the cool thing to do. Although my jeep has its own page over here: JP88

I found myself a nice red 4cyl for a decent price in great shape. it had a nice lift, 32" tires, & a 20 gal tank. The previous owner Dani, had a thing for NASCAR and 88, (also, the guy who convinced me to make a JP Jeep owns a DeLorean) so I decided to keep the number (besides who doesn't love back to the future).

[the following has been stolen and modified from another JP guy (sorry I dont remember the source)]

JP 088: Dani
On Friday, June 28, 2013, I bought a 1995 Jeep Wrangler…. and hopefully sometime between now and October it will make its transformation
From this:

To this:

I’ve got a lot of work to do, work that is completely unlike anything I have done before. I’ve got to strip the clear coat, sell the wheels & tires, obtain stock wheels, buy new seats/covers, and generally restore the whole vehicle. The mechanical parts of the jeep (engine, transmission, etc.) all appear to be in perfect working order, so I shouldn’t have to worry about that part (except for an exhaust leak and possible bad catalytic converter).

Completed:
• Registration
• Rear bumper swap
• Whip antenna
• License Plates (Got: INGEN VP)
• Movie plates: JP88
• Ball, Spring, & Whip antenna
• Side Steps
• Front bumper corner horns
• Rear bumper corner horns
• Light bar
• Paint
• New windshield
o Windshield Seal
o Reveal Molding
• Mirror Tag
• Roll bar cover ($129.97 from http://www.jeep4x4center.com/bestop-spo ... 09-37.html)
• New Hood accessories
o U-bolts
o Hood Catch
o Hood Latch
o Windshield Tie-Downs
o Hood Lock
• Cowl Rubber
• Half-door Uppers
• Soft Top ($644.99 from http://www.jeep4x4center.com/bestop-sai ... 23-37.html)
• Exterior Sound
o Second Head unit

Things on the to-do list include:
• Wheels (have 4, need one more and paint)
• Rhino-coating the floor
• New carpet
• New Seat
• Seat belts
• Center console
• Winch
• Jabsco Lights
• Exterior Sound
o Amp
o Marine Speakers
o Wiring harness

Image...here we go!
Last edited by SoCalSteve on August 25th, 2015, 8:34 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Facebook.com/JP088

iMan

Re: JP88

Post by iMan » July 31st, 2013, 6:41 am

Looking good. What year is it? Also, did you use Celebrity Machines for the move plates?
94 Sahara - JP18 - In Progress

SoCalSteve
Completed JP Jeep

Post by SoCalSteve » August 6th, 2013, 12:55 pm

iMan wrote:Looking good. What year is it? Also, did you use Celebrity Machines for the move plates?
Its a 95. Yes these are from Celebrity Machines. I have them in now. They look great!

I just swapped rear bumpers with another guy in my motor pool. As soon as I get the front and rear bumper corner horns from him, I'll repaint the bumpers. Until then, i'll attempt to degrease them as they look splotchy now.

Also, Last night when I was installing this plate, I was cursing the engineers that designed the Jeep as reaching the inside bolt from inside the bumper is difficult. Then I realized that it will significantly improve the chances that someone wont steal my plate.
Last edited by SoCalSteve on June 24th, 2014, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facebook.com/JP088

jbc455
Completed JP Jeep

Post by jbc455 » August 6th, 2013, 2:05 pm

SoCalSteve wrote:Also, Last night when I was installing this plate, I was cursing the engineers that designed the Jeep as reaching the inside bolt from inside the bumper is difficult. Then I realized that it will significantly improve the chances that someone wont steal my plate.
I used hex screws with a pin in the center for all 4 of my plates. Not theft-proof, but it will slow them down long enough for my security cameras to get a good look at them. :)
1994 Wrangler SE 4.0, automatic, 150k and still going strong.

SoCalSteve
Completed JP Jeep

Post by SoCalSteve » August 6th, 2013, 2:12 pm

jbc455 wrote:
SoCalSteve wrote:Also, Last night when I was installing this plate, I was cursing the engineers that designed the Jeep as reaching the inside bolt from inside the bumper is difficult. Then I realized that it will significantly improve the chances that someone wont steal my plate.
I used hex screws with a pin in the center for all 4 of my plates. Not theft-proof, but it will slow them down long enough for my security cameras to get a good look at them. :)
security cameras at your place or in your vehicle?

My other vehicle has a microwave detector (because its also often times exposed/top off) that detects if someone enters or reaches in the car while the alarm is active. I'm wondering if something like this exists for jeeps...
Facebook.com/JP088

SoCalSteve
Completed JP Jeep

Post by SoCalSteve » August 6th, 2013, 2:24 pm

My Fenders have been trimmed and originally i thought about purchasing replacements, but then I thought about all the issues with painting plastic and flexing... i just haven't been excited about doing it. In addition, a buddy of mine got pulled over because his lifted truck, like my jeep, has tires that were wider than the fenders. apparently in this case, California requires mud flaps (not going to happen). Recently it dawned on me that i could use the stock flares to create new modified flares. this would allow me to make them wider to comply with California laws as well as repair the trimmed sections. additionally, I can make them out of fiberglass which will prevent them from flexing and negate the flaking issue.
Last edited by SoCalSteve on June 24th, 2014, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facebook.com/JP088

jbc455
Completed JP Jeep

Post by jbc455 » August 6th, 2013, 10:25 pm

SoCalSteve wrote:
jbc455 wrote:
security cameras at your place or in your vehicle?

My other vehicle has a microwave detector (because its also often times exposed/top off) that detects if someone enters or reaches in the car while the alarm is active. I'm wondering if something like this exists for jeeps...
I bought the 4-camera Q-see system from Costco and have two cameras pointed at the driveway. Nice system, records for a month, infrared cameras work great at night.

I had a motion sensor on my convertible's alarm. Was actually just a heat sensor. Worked great.
1994 Wrangler SE 4.0, automatic, 150k and still going strong.

COBrian
Completed JP Jeep

Post by COBrian » August 8th, 2013, 10:47 am

They make "wide style" yj flares that mimic the originals but are like 2 inches wider or something.... http://www.quadratec.com/products/12510_501_07.htm is a link to them.. the front are just a wider stock yj style flair, but the rears do not have the extra little lip from the yj , they are a tj smooth style. Easier than making own... but of course $$
1993 Sahara - JP29 - Denver, CO

SoCalSteve
Completed JP Jeep

Post by SoCalSteve » September 12th, 2013, 12:38 pm

thanks for the link. I started thinking about the wider lip... the sahara foot step would have to be completely redesigned along with the support beams.

On the other hand, I have my antennae mounted and stopped by TCP Global (which apparently operates under a handful of names) and picked up the paint when I was in San Diego.ImageImage

I'm looking to sand the doors Friday and paint them Saturday.
Last edited by SoCalSteve on June 24th, 2014, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facebook.com/JP088

SoCalSteve
Completed JP Jeep

Post by SoCalSteve » September 12th, 2013, 2:28 pm

I'm also looking to pick up some door graphics. Probably from RatRace. I haven't seen anything of higher quality.

I'm also looking to pick up a custom 4.0 sticker for the back and for the jeep side logos.
Facebook.com/JP088