CT JP15 -

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
fantomas
Completed JP Jeep

Re: CT JP15

Post by fantomas » August 12th, 2014, 12:52 am

Things that still need to be done (possibly in this order):
Reinstall windshield glass and frame
Gas Tank skid plate replacement
Apply door logos and factory "Jeep" decals
Put doors back together
Install soft top
Install front bumper, horns, fog lights
Paint rims, buy tires
Finish mounting fender flares
repaint/repair/install trailer hitch & install trailer wiring
Repaint/install bumperettes
Put interior back together
Hook up sound system and CB radio
Install winch
Shackle replacement
Fab up overhead lights/lightbar
Install 102" antenna
Install overhead lights
Last edited by fantomas on August 12th, 2014, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

COBrian
Completed JP Jeep

Post by COBrian » August 12th, 2014, 2:29 pm

Honestly I bet the paint guy just eyeballed the lines, laser levels werent exactly a common item in 1992 ;) So even when they were created I bet they could have been different by a few degrees on differnt vehicles, if it looks good in person which pictures make me think so, then thats all that matters!
1993 Sahara - JP29 - Denver, CO

usmercenary
Completed JP Jeep

Post by usmercenary » August 13th, 2014, 3:06 pm

fantomas wrote:
usmercenary wrote:Hey fantomas, love the way your paint came out. I'm also in Connecticut and was wondering if your paint guy (father in law?), or at least the same shop you used, would be willing to paint another JP jeep. My original paint plan fell through, so I am on the search for new options. Since yours came out great and we're in the same state, figures I might as well ask. Seems like you really know what you're doing in your whole project so it would be great to get some experienced insight. I also am interested in the shop you sourced your vinyl, if your happy with it. Thanks!
Unfortunately this isn't really the type of thing this shop does, unless you have $$$ and don't mind waiting months. They've probably got a dozen restoration projects going on right now just in that building. And although my FIL sprayed my Jeep, it was more so as a family type of favor. Also, because we've been working on the Jeep for months at his house, he's been backlogged on other personal projects he needs to get done. I can ask him if he knows of any reliable automotive paint places around that you can use. What part of the state are you in?

The shop I had cut my vinyl is SignMart in Middletown http://www.signmartct.com/ They only cut the hood logo and side numbers though. The door logos she quoted me at $50 each, so I got them off eBay for like $36 for the pair. They also cut the vinyl for the East Dock sign I've slowly been working on.
I am located in Trumbull, and that is a shame about the shop because yours really looks great. I am working on a few other angles for the paint. I may use that sign shop though for the stencils and just get the doors decals online too

fantomas
Completed JP Jeep

Post by fantomas » August 14th, 2014, 10:24 pm

Well, things are chugging along now. Last night we did the gas tank skid plate replacement and tonight we installed the windshield. The gasket between the frame and the cowl isn't sitting correctly though.... Also installed all the graphics

The old gas tank skid plate. Looks okay from this angle...
img_1470.jpg
img_1470.jpg (290.26 KiB) Viewed 11469 times
Oh nevermind. The thing is 50% gone.
img_1471.jpg
img_1471.jpg (340.48 KiB) Viewed 11469 times
New (used) skid plate. Herculined the road side of it.
img_1472.jpg
img_1472.jpg (175.87 KiB) Viewed 11469 times
And the gas tank on the ground. Biggest PITA was disconnecting the hose clamps. Surprisingly, all the bolts came out with out any problems
img_1473.jpg
img_1473.jpg (179.96 KiB) Viewed 11469 times
Joop to Jeep conversion
img_1474.jpg
img_1474.jpg (152.83 KiB) Viewed 11469 times
I think this is the first picture of the driver's side
img_1475.jpg
img_1475.jpg (149.46 KiB) Viewed 11469 times
And the door logo is on! Used the "wet" method to install it.
img_1477.jpg
img_1477.jpg (163.1 KiB) Viewed 11469 times
Blurry picture. Despite the wet method, I still somehow ended up with a giant air bubble near middle of the letters. Can't really tell unless you know where to look, just hope it doesn't become a problem down the road
img_1478.jpg
img_1478.jpg (137.36 KiB) Viewed 11469 times
And with the windshield frame on! Brand new glass. The cowl seal still isn't sitting correctly. I might try cutting the inside portion of it to make it sit better...
img_1479.jpg
img_1479.jpg (168.71 KiB) Viewed 11469 times

crayZcollegeKid

Post by crayZcollegeKid » August 14th, 2014, 11:09 pm

Hurry! Get them wheels on there pronto! You're almost there!
______________________________________________________________________________________

cptcrunch
Completed JP Jeep

Post by cptcrunch » August 15th, 2014, 10:13 am

Looking great! Where did you get the Jeep lettering? I purchased some off eBay that are in gold, not the orange, and was curious if yours are the same.

fantomas
Completed JP Jeep

Post by fantomas » August 15th, 2014, 10:33 am

Mine are goldish. The seller on eBay was patriotgraphix or something. This is their website http://www.patriotgraphix.com

I got the two jeep logos and two 4.0 logos but those are incorrect. I installed them anyways...

cptcrunch
Completed JP Jeep

Post by cptcrunch » August 15th, 2014, 5:06 pm

fantomas wrote:Mine are goldish. The seller on eBay was patriotgraphix or something. This is their website http://www.patriotgraphix.com

I got the two jeep logos and two 4.0 logos but those are incorrect. I installed them anyways...
I purchased these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Wrangler-S ... 09?vxp=mtr which were the closest I could find to OEM.

ausjeep

Post by ausjeep » August 16th, 2014, 2:46 am

fantomas wrote: Blurry picture. Despite the wet method, I still somehow ended up with a giant air bubble near middle of the letters. Can't really tell unless you know where to look, just hope it doesn't become a problem down the road
img_1478.jpg
all you need to do is prick it with a pin and you should be able to work the bubble out

fantomas
Completed JP Jeep

Post by fantomas » August 16th, 2014, 3:57 am

Made some progress yesterday... The spreader bars are now bolted to the windshield frame which is now bolted to the dash. Soft top rails are installed. Still need to put the inside door panels on and install the rails for the uppers on the half doors. I might actually take the Jeep home tomorrow if I'm able to finish up a few things.
crayZcollegeKid wrote:Hurry! Get them wheels on there pronto! You're almost there!
The last of the "accessories" that need to be painted such as rims, bumperettes, trailer hitch, mirrors, are going to be prepped tomorrow. The black parts will probably be painted this weekend and then the rest of the red will (hopefully) be sprayed next weekend. Then I need to order the tires... Not really an expense I want to tackle right now.... I'm also trying to figure out a whip tie down bracket in time to get the light bar painted with everything else.
ausjeep wrote:all you need to do is prick it with a pin and you should be able to work the bubble out
In the process of trying to move the bubble, I ended up accidentally ripping a tiny hole in the transfer tape and I guess it went all the way through the vinyl. If you know where to look you can see the nick I made.