Boomerjinks' Jeep 18

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Boomerjinks
Completed JP Jeep

Re: Boomerjinks' Jeep 18

Post by Boomerjinks » April 10th, 2010, 2:44 am

I pulled the interior yesterday, gave it a good long cleaning and scuffed it up for it's bi-annual application of herculiner. I try to make sure everything is clean and pretty on the cars every year, but last summer was spent building the new Ecto, and I completely neglected the Jeep. Once I had the liner on I touched up the paint on the ends of the rollcage, painted my center console forest green (the blue has just gotten too nasty and faded), and retouched the bumpers. Man what a difference a little touch-up work on the dings and scratches make for my perception of this Jeep!

But I've created a dilemma in pulling everything out of the jeep. When I first got it, I drove it around town all summer long sans rollcage, with the windshield folded down. I fell in love with that go-kart, zero-blind spot sensation, and I felt I lost a little bit of it every time I added something to the jeep. Initially it was just the roll cage that bummed me out. Then the black soft top hardware, and the lightbar, followed by the lights. I felt like I was getting boxed in, and that my gloriously-simple topless vehicle was becoming just another ordinary car. Now that I have everything pulled, I DON'T WANT TO PUT IT BACK TOGETHER! lol

The girls and I cruised downtown tonight, wearing WWII aviator goggles for a little experiment onto the highway (safety not guaranteed), but managing to drive slow enough the rest of the time to prevent discomfort from the wind. Taking the Ecto downtown is a fairly regular weekend activity for us. We cruise to a place to eat or out to a show, and revel in the shouts and screams of "Ghostbusters!" and "Holy shit!" and "That's awesome" and "Who ya gonna call!" That car is a dance party on wheels, and you get it down near the bars and traffic (both on foot and on wheels) just stops. People run out into the road for pictures, or to shake hands, and we thrill at causing mayhem with the drunks. This isn't the case with the jeep. The jeep, despite it's paint job, is quite inconspicuous compared to the Ecto. My enjoyment of the jeep comes primarily from the experience of riding in it, soaking up the sun and enjoying the Colorado countryside. Every so often someone takes an extra long look at it and will shout at us, but it's fairly rare especially at night. At stoplights we'll get people acting like dinosaurs or screaming "look out for the rex" or "must go faster," but you never get the "Holy shit!"s that happen as you just roll past someone on the sidewalk. I've never really figured it out. Maybe because the Jeep isn't eight feet tall, covered in antennas and emergency lights, or maybe because from the front and rear it looks like a very average 4x4. Who knows.

But not tonight. Tonight was different.

We rolled through the streets of downtown Denver with the cage gone, and the windshield folded down. Everyone lost their goddamn minds. Maybe because the Jeep stood out more tonight. I don't know. All I know is that we got several hop-ons, a ton of pictures, people running out into traffic to risk giving the girls high-fives, and even a cop coming on the PA to tell us "there are no dinosaurs in the mall" as we crossed 16th Street. Jesus christ. Now I am debating risking life and limb to drive a wildly unsafe, and amazingly awesome, Jeep around town, putting off replacing all the rollcage parts as long as I can.... oh jesus.

edit: Yes, I know I could add some tool boxes and a bloodied Jeff Goldblum for a decent #10 jeep ;)

Jedigreedo

Post by Jedigreedo » April 10th, 2010, 3:29 am

Weird, I was just looking through your WIP pics earlier hoping to see a pic where you might've had all the pieces on, but the cage off. That's pretty awesome! Doing that around here would probably get you pulled over and ticketed after a couple blocks for lack of seatbelts, and nobody would be out to admire it.

Maybe you'll just have to invest in a #10 to keep the best of both worlds. At least you won't have to worry about finding the right cage, or a lightbar. :D
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we... woke up!"

Cyrix9445
Site Administrator
Vehicle Make/Model: Ford Explorer
Facebook Name: Brandon Constant
Facebook Profile URL: https://www.facebook.com/jurassicparkexplorer04/
Instagram: cyrix9445

Post by Cyrix9445 » April 10th, 2010, 10:39 am

Awesome! I've only ever had the windshield folded down, never had the roll cage off. Looks cool though. The #10 Jeep would be cool to do, and yea no lightbar to find for it
1993 Ford Explorer

Boomerjinks
Completed JP Jeep

Post by Boomerjinks » April 10th, 2010, 1:34 pm

Yeah, I'm always super-nervous when crossing the 16th Street Mall, simply because mostly only service vehicles and deliveries are allowed, so when his PA came on, I just about shit myself. But then they were all, "lol, we're Denver cops and we all have a remarkably good sense of humor about your goddamn antics, Boomerjinks. roar, motherfuckers"

Hell, a few weeks back a cop pulled up next to us in the Ecto and asked if the siren worked. After we played it, we asked, "now do yours," and we got into a siren/light-off with the guy. Surreal.

Also, the seatbelts still work, technically. You can buckle them and they are still pretty tight. My dilemma is whether or not I'd rather risk getting thrown clear of the jeep in the event of a rollover, or have by seatbelt fastened and risk being strapped to a twirling mass of metal DEATH if the shit ever hit the fan.

Cyrix9445
Site Administrator
Vehicle Make/Model: Ford Explorer
Facebook Name: Brandon Constant
Facebook Profile URL: https://www.facebook.com/jurassicparkexplorer04/
Instagram: cyrix9445

Post by Cyrix9445 » April 10th, 2010, 2:25 pm

Oh right, I forgot about the seat belt situation
1993 Ford Explorer

Kadgarth

Post by Kadgarth » April 10th, 2010, 4:33 pm

I've often considered taking off my roll cage but the seat belt thing left me pretty iffy too.

Maybe I'll try it tomorrow and see just how safe it feels.
1987 AMC Wrangler
2007 Dodge Charger

Jedigreedo

Post by Jedigreedo » April 10th, 2010, 10:50 pm

Well there's always the CJ/pre-'92 roll bars. Granted they're not small, but at least less bulky and less attention-drawing than the '92+ cage.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we... woke up!"

Driveshaft

Post by Driveshaft » April 11th, 2010, 11:46 am

Awesome shots Boomer! I'm surprised more people don't go crazy with the JP Jeep around! I only folded down the windshield twice on my TJ (in February lol) but really enjoyed it. Never have with the JK, but I know someday I will.

What did you take those shots with? They're great!

Boomerjinks
Completed JP Jeep

Post by Boomerjinks » April 11th, 2010, 11:57 am

I really think the lack of response is because it really is just a very average jeep with a custom paint job. Especially here in Colorado, where only 1 out of every 3 jeeps is completely stock. The JP jeep doesn't have a huge lift, it doesn't have giant wheels, sure it has a lightbar and winch, but again those are pretty much standard on almost every halfway serious four-wheeler. It's just too common of a vehicle, I think. People love it when they look at it long enough, but it isn't anything that will actually attract the eye compared to a DeLorean time machine or Ectomobile.

The pictures were taken with a Canon G10 balanced on a parking meter and (ahem) the spoiler of a parked rice-burner.

AJ Quick
Site Moderator

Post by AJ Quick » April 11th, 2010, 1:30 pm

1971 Volkwagen Beetle - 1993 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 1998 Dodge Neon R/T
http://www.GBFans.com/ - http://www.JurassicJeep.com/