Seattle Jeep 12 Rebuild

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Xsev3russnap3x

Seattle Jeep 12 Rebuild

Post by Xsev3russnap3x » January 29th, 2017, 5:51 pm

Late couple summers ago I got extremely lucky and found my 1990 Wrangler Islander for $2000 all original in good shape not expecting to do the Jurassic Park thing. It being my first car being 16 I had an extra 1000 saved up to spend and I genuinely enjoy Jurassic Park enough that a friend who does car vinyl work for a living offered to wrap the silver color onto my Jeep. The color came out much darker but I brushed it off. I was lucky enough to score license plate JP12 making me as far as my research goes the only 12 in Washington state. I'm a Seahawks fan and being number 12 was perfect for 12th man seahawks events and such.
IMG_8590.JPG
While I was enjoying my new car last summer another member I met through here built his Wrangler to the detail and we ended up at an event together.
jeeep.JPG
I didn't really realize just how much of a difference it makes to get the details right his has a very special touch to it I'm very jealous of. Since then I contemplated weather it was really worth it to go through with the rebuild. I even considered selling at one point. But now half a year later I'm 18 now, I've been saving up and I have the work setup to get the jeep done right.
halfgone.jpg
redBarron.jpg
I pulled off all the vinyl and talked with the other JP Jeep owner about details like paint colors and such. I nicknamed her RedBarron with the amount of red. Overall I wanted to make a new post about some of the stuff I'm doing with the build.
I put Red Barron in the garage I plan on painting her in so I've got about a week to pull apart the interior and sell all the tan islander parts I've got on craigslist. Then hit the Jeep junkyard for the Sahara Parts.
I'm planning on ordering test paints in the next couple days and trying out the colors. My Jeeps already Red so I'll be leaving the interior Red except the inside window pain. I need to go down to a shop when I've got extra cash on hand and get a light bar fabricated. I don't have the money to afford the Jabsco lights so i need to use the ones I've got and try to mimic them. I expect it to be a month before I finish the build.
-Aiden H
Last edited by Xsev3russnap3x on March 5th, 2017, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boost1995

Re: Seattle Jeep 12 Rebuild

Post by Boost1995 » January 29th, 2017, 10:46 pm

Looks like you're doing a great job and have a solid plan. I look forward to seeing your build come together. This site has all the information needed to build a right nice movie replica. Enjoy!

Xsev3russnap3x

Post by Xsev3russnap3x » February 7th, 2017, 2:49 am

Quick Update. Thanks to The other Jurassic Park Jeep I've been lead to a craigslist ad for a 2004 wrangler family Bar that does have some problems fitting but Nothing an afternoon with a drill cant fix. For only 80 bucks with no rust I cant complain.
A friend of mine at work makes 3D prints with a very nice 3D printer and we talked about making the fog lights and the Jabsco Lights. 70 for all of them I just need to provide the brackets and the bulbs another good way of cutting prices. Ill for sure post the finished product after their printed.
Wranglerbars.jpg
Work is going a bit slow atm on paint. The garage I had planned on painting in is getting painted itself so Ill have to try and squeeze in time around their schedule to come in and do prep work myself. In the meantime Im waiting on a paycheck to go buy the spare bench and the passenger sahara seats from the other Jurassic Park Jeep. So far on this build I can say dont underestimate the help of other JP Jeeps. He has been extremely helpful.

-Aiden H

Xsev3russnap3x

Post by Xsev3russnap3x » March 5th, 2017, 3:27 pm

Been some time and I had hoped to have the build done by comicon this weekend but given timing I've decided take things slower. Paint jobs just getting started on sanding and I'm there every chance I have to work on it. Otherwise its moving pretty quickly just need to build my paint booth and buy the primer.
Jeepmasking1.jpg
As expected with all Jurassic Park Jeep builds its 90% part finding so Ive been spending alot of time getting parts bought. One being the other JP jeep offered me his extra 2 sahara seats for 250 still need to find a drivers seat.
Seats1.jpeg
Seats1.jpeg (87.54 KiB) Viewed 14790 times
Seats2.jpeg
Seats2.jpeg (61.64 KiB) Viewed 14790 times
I don't mind the damage on them. If anything they add character.

Other big one I put in a custom order for a light bar from a guy I was suggested to. He did it for 180 and its a bit of a shame he ended up rushing it and messing up on some parts.
lightbar.jpg
Lightbar2.jpg
Its a very well done bar and he got it done quickly just he didn't make it long enough and far too tall. Plus the bend wont let it fit. So luckily hes a nice guy and was willing to let me bring it back to get fixed for free. I'm in no hurry so I dont mind the wait. going to be much better then my old bar which was just a $7 pvc pipe I bought one night and bent with a heat gun then sprayed.

Other then that I've got the custom pouches from ProjectVIC on order and are being made right now. I also found a used grey dash without the gauge trim for 60 on ebay free shipping that should be on its way.

Lastly some sad news I spent awhile really taking a look at how to mount the family bars i bought a bit ago and I decided the effort it would take to try securing it safely was not worth it when I can just buy a family bar of the right year. So If i can sell it for 80 or higher I'll be fine. Just sad the junk yard asked 220 for one.
Bars.jpg
Just a lesson to learn don't try and fit a 2004 family bar to a 1990 Jeep.

Got much much more to do and the weathers been bad (Seattle rains ALOT yes) so not going to set a "finish day" for say but I'm currently switching around borrowing cars from people as the Jeep is my daily driver. Because of that I'm very eager to get the paint job done and get her back on road.
-Aiden H

Xsev3russnap3x

Post by Xsev3russnap3x » March 5th, 2017, 3:48 pm

One last thing forgot to put in last post. Since the line placement and distances is a big thing and for most people theirs no going back on it. My build is strange as I have a second chance to try different dimensions. I saw Kytor Industries build post and that he changed some numbers on the Jeep 10 dimensions image. Given that I did the vinyl off the original numbers I agree with his changes. The 72.5 degrees is not possible with the given numbers. I ran into this problem when doing the lines in vinyl originally. I ultimately had to move one line an inch back so it lined up with the top fender making it easier on me plus maintaining the angle. It didn't look bad but I always kinda knew the front line was too short it felt wrong. Now that the vinyls off it left an obvious line on where the vinyl was at and I masked to Kytors new dimensions and I can already tell they look better.
JeepTape2.jpg
JeepTape1.jpg
You can clearly see just how much of a difference it made. If anyone needs it heres his updated image.
Jeepdementions.JPG
Again thanks to KytorIndustries for fixing it. These now line up perfectly.
-Aiden H

Xsev3russnap3x

Post by Xsev3russnap3x » March 30th, 2017, 10:25 pm

Been awhile and alot has been done but it doesnt feel like it since i cant install anything until the jeeps done with paint. So I've got a storage room full of most of the interior parts just sitting there.

Anyways its mostly been more parts.

As my interior was the islander tan a big part was the dash but the junkyard asked $200 for it! I figured id wait on it till this summer or something but I ended up finding the upper dash pad on ebay for $60 free shipping. The guy that I sold my old seats to lead me to a misc jeep junkyard that was off the grid, It was an older guy with ALOT of jeep parts but almost nothing whole if that makes sense. I drove out there with $50 bucks in hand expecting to just look around that day and come back for more later. I just named parts left and right we picked them up for all $50.

I got the steering wheel (and cover), the glove compartment, left surrounding guage trim and the spice roll bar covers. An awesome find.
Partscover.jpg
Partscver.jpg
After that I drove up to the junkyard an hour north and got the side steps along with the last guage trim for $100.
Steps.jpg
Installed the dash and used my old jeep vinyl(same stuff that was the really ugly gray i used to have) to cover the backplate and the steering wheel column.
dashhhhhhhhh.jpg
Ultimately decided Id wait on painting the inside of the windshield so I reattached all the things on it. I ordered the custom door panels awhile ago and decided to just go get my panels painted for a few bucks real quick. Still cant decide if i want to use the hunter green or repaint it the actual darker color. Just going to have to wait to see how I like it installed. Just waiting on the pouches but I'm in no hurry.
Dooooors.jpg
Lastly the seats problem. I just got this fixed today sorta. So I had bought the bench and the passenger seats awhile ago but I still needed a drivers. Running into a guy selling his sahara wrangler on craigslist it was an amazing jeep all except his drivers seat had a rip in it. I contacted him asking if I could buy the seats and give him these black seats someone gave me as a trade for the islander seats. He said we could just trade since I was saving him from buying new seats anyways and we met up today. The passenger seat is in good condition just has alot of dog hair and smells like dog. Needs to be washed. The drivers seat though... the cushion is really tore up, To get around this I'm putting both the passenger seats I have in the jeep until I can get around to reupholstering the driver. I'll have to deal with the lean lever being on the right but its worth it to save my ass (literally) from pain.
Seatsss.jpg
couple little things left like the Bar that was wrong awhile ago got fixed and looks good. As well as I picked up a new barbasol can, made a new mirror tag and bought a driver hat from user mark brody for the hell of it.
baryeah.jpg
extras.jpg
I still need to either find someone selling the correct family bar or buy it for 200 from the junkyard. Its spring break next week so I'll be in the garage getting it ready for paint. So hoping to have her back on the road then.
-Aiden H

Nick727

Post by Nick727 » March 31st, 2017, 11:03 am

Looking good! Keep up the hard work! You might be able to take the bottom part of your "extra" passenger seat and put it on the driver seat (just the cushion or fabric) BAM! fixed driver seat! :)
Must go faster...

rujero
Vehicle Make/Model: 2005 Jeep TJU - MT

Post by rujero » March 31st, 2017, 2:05 pm

Nice work dude! I'm jealous of your awesome find!
2005 Jeep Wrangler TJU, MT - Boston MA

JP Junkie

Post by JP Junkie » April 1st, 2017, 1:00 am

Turning out to be a nice conversion!
Jurassic Park Jeep 10: Completed - Location: Minnesota
https://www.facebook.com/JPMaintenanceJeep/
Remember... a correct font is as important as the correct paint color!

KytorIndustries

Post by KytorIndustries » April 1st, 2017, 5:51 pm

Looking good. I'm glad my diagram helped you out.

While you have the interior stripped I would strongly recommend you RaptorLiner the interior bed. Local automotive paint shops will carry it and can tint it too if you prefer. You'll be out the door around $130-150 and it will protect your tub orders of magnitude better than stock or aftermarket paint. If you have any surface rust areas, hit them with POR 15 before you line.
Kytor Industries
kytor.com