JP12 Build - Middle Georgia

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Mark Brody

Re: JP12 Build - Middle Georgia

Post by Mark Brody » February 2nd, 2017, 9:15 pm

Was that a "holy bananas, that's expensive!" or "holy bananas, that's cheap!"? I know other people have gotten theirs cheaper, but it seems like that's a matter of luck and timing.

nitroneon85

Post by nitroneon85 » February 2nd, 2017, 9:27 pm

Jack_Fauth
Completed JP Jeep

Post by Jack_Fauth » February 3rd, 2017, 8:17 am

Remove the valve srems and any old weights that are on the wheels
I sandblast the wheels inside and out, it makes a better job and the tire will seal better as these wheels tend to corrode around the bead area
IMG_4711.JPG
IMG_4726.JPG
Also average price for these wheels is around $25 a wheels but i have gotten a set of 5 for less than $100 before
Jack
Still selling complete decal/stencil kits in any number

Jeep conversion service http://www.no-limitcustoms.com

95 Sahara- PA Jeep#12-SOLD
000 _oooo_
00/| ,[___],
|--L
@/--[]lllll[]-
()_) 0 ()_)-o-)_)

marscreature
Completed JP Jeep

Post by marscreature » February 3rd, 2017, 8:41 am

Yeah, I have one guy that said he sells these wheels for scrap at $15/each, he refuses to wait and save them till I have time to drive out to him...
but I have another guy that I can always get $20-25 per wheel any time of the year.

As for painting I just taped around the valve stem before a light sandblasting, scuff pad to finish, then painted. I only did the face of my wheels.
I did have my spare tire professionally sand blasted and powder coated though because I have a RADIAL ALL TERRAIN tire on it, which will never be changed.
1994 Wrangler Sahara - JP28 in Michigan

Mark Brody

Post by Mark Brody » February 3rd, 2017, 9:10 am

I remember during my failed Explorer build, I got 5 wheels from a junkyard for the price of one newly manufactured wheel (but I didn't have to pay shipping that time. There aren't a whole lot of junkyards where I am, and what I did see was already picked clean.

Thanks for the tip on refinishing the wheels!

Boost1995

Post by Boost1995 » February 4th, 2017, 7:56 am

Awesome job on the Wheels! If you want to powder coat them, hit up Justin st custom powder coasters of Atlanta. He does a great good at a great price. Your Jeep is coming along nice.

Espo78

Post by Espo78 » February 12th, 2017, 4:34 pm

Such a beautiful Jeep! You are very lucky to find that. It's amazing that even one it that great of condition doesn't have the original fog lights. They must have definitely been manufactured to lesser standards than the rest of the Jeep. Good luck on your build. Are you going to repaint everything or just add red to the champagne metallic?

Mark Brody

Post by Mark Brody » February 13th, 2017, 6:16 am

I'm just going to add red to the champagne. I know it's not accurate, but I'll accept what's essentially just the wrong finish to save myself days worth of work or thousands of dollars.

RustyRodder

Post by RustyRodder » February 13th, 2017, 9:52 am

Not a bad choice- Im clearcoating the sand beige on mine for easier care, since it will spend a lot of time outside.
JP25- Jurassic Park Maintenance, 1988 Jeep Comanche
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2680

Mark Brody

Post by Mark Brody » February 24th, 2017, 10:31 am

I only want to paint this Jeep once, so I want to do it right the first time. As such, I've been experimenting with paints on a steel plate I had siting around in the garage. The top is Light Champagne Metallic from TouchUpDirect.com with the gloss clear coat they supplied with the paint. I know the movie Jeeps were satin Sand Beige Metallic, but I've got a '93 Jeep, so I wanted to do the experiment against the actual color of my Jeep. It's a close match, but my Jeep is slightly lighter (probably due to 24 years of fading). The reds from left to right, are:

Rustoleum Apple Red with Spray Max satin clear coat
Rustoleum Apple Red with TouchUpDirect's gloss clear coat
Ford M6564 Performance Red from TouchUpDirect with their gloss clear coat
Ford M6564 Performance Red from TouchUpDirect the with Spray Max satin clear coat

It's difficult to see the difference in photos, but I'll do my best to describe it. Apple Red gloss is maybe a little bit lighter than a perfect medium red, but it's about the most vibrant red I can imagine. Perf Red gloss is slightly darker and less vibrant. It also leans ever so subtly toward orange compared to Apple Red gloss, but it's so slight I have a hard time seeing it consistently. It's with the satin finish that things get really interesting. Apple Red satin appears slightly lighter and less vibrant compared to its gloss counterpart (as expected). What's interesting is that while the Perf Red gloss is the darkest of the four samples, the Perf Red satin is the lightest. The satin finish increased the lightness to a greater degree than it did to Apple Red. It also decreased the vibrancy, but to about the same small degree as it did to Apple Red, making Perf Red satin the lightest and least vibrant of the four.

I'd say the movie red is on the lighter side of medium, ever so slightly on the orange side of the color wheel as opposed to true RED (and certainly not on the purple side of red), and a small step below maximum vibrance. It's not fire engine red. It's pretty clear to me that Perf Red satin is the closest match of these four. I'd originally planned on a gloss finish to match the finish on the car right now, but the satin just looks so good, I may do that after all.

My two concerns are the paint line and paint quality. I know avoiding a ridge at the paint line is a avoidable, but what concerns me most is that you can see a sliver of the white primer under the paint. I may see if I can find a grey primer that would be less noticeable. Also, while I like the color from TouchUpDirect, I couldn't get a very smooth finish out of it. You can see see the bumps on the Perf Red gloss in the sun glare below. You can even make out the bumps in the Perf Red satin in the penny picture below. In contrast, both Apple Red samples were as smooth as glass. Can anyone recommend a better touch up paint brand that makes aerosols?

Last edited by Mark Brody on August 19th, 2017, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.