JP12 Build - Middle Georgia

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Mark Brody

Re: JP12 Build - Middle Georgia

Post by Mark Brody » July 15th, 2017, 6:00 am

Great, Photobucket wants $400 for a service that used to be free. I'll find a new host for the images, but not right now.

xennocide

Post by xennocide » July 16th, 2017, 4:16 am

Yep. I just ran into the same issue with photobucket. >:(

DrewSmith007
Site Moderator
Vehicle Make/Model: 1993 Ford Explorer

Post by DrewSmith007 » July 16th, 2017, 12:10 pm

I downloaded my photobucket archive and will give them a little while to change their minds before I delete my account.

Mark Brody

Post by Mark Brody » July 20th, 2017, 10:00 am

I don't plan on deleting the account, but I will download my archive and uploading to a better host. I'll let my Photobucket account stand filling up their servers, and paying them nothing. The most annoying part is having to go back into old threads and fix the broken links where I still care about the images showing up.

Mark Brody

Post by Mark Brody » August 10th, 2017, 1:24 pm

I've been too busy working on the Jeep (and just life in general) to update the photos, but I've made a fair amount of progress on the Jeep (to be posted soon, I hope). In the meantime, here's one of the things I've been working on - I welcome your constructive feedback.

COBrian's image of the stripe layout has been tremendously helpful, but I thought it could be confusing at times, with too many measurements provided. I tried to simplify the guide and present it as a technical drawing to my painter. I either used COBrian's guide as a base, or used a similar method of measurement that he did. When I took my own measurements, I found some in conflict with those that COBrian provided, but not by much - most notably, I estimate the hood numbers to be 20" wide, not 18" as the JPMP suggests. I spent a good deal of time on this, but I would like it to be foolproof. I'm not quite sure that it's there yet. Please take a look at my guide and let me know if there is anything I left out or stated in a way that isn't clear or requires further explanation.

Edited after marscreature's comments

Last edited by Mark Brody on August 13th, 2017, 8:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.

marscreature
Completed JP Jeep

Post by marscreature » August 10th, 2017, 3:19 pm

Wow, this is a great layout.
I think 8 is a little confusing or even just unnecessary.
1994 Wrangler Sahara - JP28 in Michigan

Mark Brody

Post by Mark Brody » August 19th, 2017, 2:32 pm

Alright, I finally got around to addressing the great Photobucket migration. I hope VGY doesn't screw us over in the future the same way Photobucket did.

I've got quite a few updates since I received the winch two months ago, but I'm only going to give them to you a bit at a time.

First - I started work on the bumper. I wanted to patch the holes in the bumper from the flat tow system, and I figured while I was at it, I'd take care of everything else on the bumper. I taught my 4 year old son how to use a ratchet, and he helped out with the winch mounting (I have not yet wired it because I'm looking for a creative solution to the solenoid problem of the REP9.5e, so I can't say that I've installed the winch).

Finally, I played around with my Delta 100 lights and finally got them working. I was a little worried about these initially. I switch the connectors with the fog lights that I already had on the Jeep so that I could just use the stock wiring harness and switch. I tested it out while the lights sat on the driveway, and it worked great. For whatever reason, I couldn't install the lights right away, so I wrapped up the Jeep side of the connectors so they wouldn't get wet and dirty in the meantime. When I did install the lights, they didn't work. The connectors had somehow gotten wet, despite my best efforts, but I waited until they were bone dry before I plugged everything in. The headlights worked, but as soon as I switched on the fogs, everything turned off. It dawned on my in the middle of the night as I lay awake in bed that the lights might be grounding out through the bumper. I removed the lights, wrapped the screws with thread seal tape, and reinstalled them using nylon washers. It worked great!

KytorIndustries

Post by KytorIndustries » August 20th, 2017, 7:16 am

It looks like your paint guide was made that in Adobe Illustrator. Would you be willing to share the AI file? I could find many uses for it, and will drop you credit.

On another note, I agree about the measurement discrepancies. The biggest mistake, and unfortunately one that I see many people have followed, is on the rear stripes. Here are the corrected dimensions:

http://kytor.com/jp17/files/tub-stripes-corrected.jpg
Kytor Industries
kytor.com

Mark Brody

Post by Mark Brody » August 20th, 2017, 2:13 pm

I wholeheartedly agree about the rear stripes being off. I'll be happy to share the AI file with you, but I want to give people here and the JP Motorpool a little more time to offer feedback. I've made numerous changes since I first posted it (only the most recent version is posted here). There may still be room for improvements, and I want to be certain I've done the best I can before I offer the vector file to everyone.

Mark Brody

Post by Mark Brody » August 21st, 2017, 10:05 pm

Since I want to give the paint on the wheels a better chance to cure, I'm going with a temporary solution in the meantime - Plastidip. I can see the appeal in this product, but I can also see the pitfalls. It does peel off well, but not as easily as the promo videos would have you think. As usual, my son helped me.