JP12 Build - Middle Georgia

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Mark Brody

Re: JP12 Build - Middle Georgia

Post by Mark Brody » April 19th, 2017, 6:11 pm

And here's a fun picture of a light champagne metallic 1993 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Greenlight diecast toy sitting on the fender of my light champagne metallic 1993 Jeep Wrangler Sahara.

Last edited by Mark Brody on August 19th, 2017, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Brody

Post by Mark Brody » April 24th, 2017, 8:46 pm

I had a chance today to see the actual Jeep I'm trying to replicate. By the time I'm done, I hope it'll look more accurate than the real deal does today. For those of you who are curious, you can get a vehicle history report for the actual #12 Jeep here. Just type in the VIN (2J4FY49S2NJ527378). It has just what you'd expect from a movie car that was only used for a few weeks.

Mark Brody

Post by Mark Brody » May 17th, 2017, 9:13 am

I finally got around to removing my spare tire and having the wheels bead blasted. It covered up most of the scratches in the junkyard wheels, but I can see that some gauges and pitting will still be visible after it's painted. I plan to coat the inside on the wheels with truck bed liner to prevent further corrosion before I prime and paint the outsides. Hopefully, I can paint them this weekend so I can get the clock ticking on cure time before I mount the tires .

Last edited by Mark Brody on August 19th, 2017, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Brody

Post by Mark Brody » May 30th, 2017, 7:45 am

Dang, that was more work than I expected. I know sanding an masking the Jeep itself will be a lot of work, but I never expected painting the wheels to take so much effort. Anyway, my 4yo son helped me sand the hubcaps and mask off the wheels. The truckbed liner on the inside worked out well. I primed, painted, and topcoated the faces with Rustoleum Apple Red and a semi-gloss topcoat. I purchased a lazy Susan at Target before painting, and that made the job a lot easier. While I managed to avoid runs, I still laid the paint on pretty heavy. Honestly, I think I'll wait until winter before getting the tires mounted. I'm afraid if I get it done this summer, the Georgia heat will make the paint too soft, and all my hard work will be messed up mouthing the tires. If I can wait until the temperature drops, it'll give the paint more cure time. I also painted the mirrors. The mirror door mounts needed a repaint too, but I didn't get around to painting it yet. I'll take care of that tonight along with the hubcap that got some junk stuck in the wet paint (no idea how it happened).

Last edited by Mark Brody on August 19th, 2017, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrewSmith007
Site Moderator
Vehicle Make/Model: 1993 Ford Explorer

Post by DrewSmith007 » May 30th, 2017, 6:03 pm

Oooh, I like the bedliner idea for the inside. Let us know how it holds up!

Mark Brody

Post by Mark Brody » May 31st, 2017, 6:31 am

Well, the very next day, I heard my son moving the wheels around on the concrete driveway. I checked the truckbed liner coated rims, and they looked fine. I'm pretty confident I put a fairly even coat on the wheels, but I won't know until I put the tires on how well balanced they are.

I reattacked my dirty hubcap last night with excellent results. I also repainted the side mirror mount/base.

I've been working on a few other JP items for the jeep, too. I opted to make my own license plates instead of ordering the celebrity machines plates (not that I have anything against them). For the rear license plate, the only plate required in Georgia, I thought about a hitch license plate bracket for the legal tags, and putting a JP plate over the gas cap as many others have done. Instead, I ordered some license plate frames and dressed them up JP style. I also created a custom label for a travel mug.

Finally, I removed the flat tow system and the forward hitch. The backside of the bumper was practically inaccessible, so I took a Dremel to the nuts to cut them in half, and pryed them off with a railroad spike. I guess I can add painting the bumper to my to do list.

Last edited by Mark Brody on August 19th, 2017, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JP Junkie

Post by JP Junkie » May 31st, 2017, 8:46 am

Those are some great ideas Mark!!
Jurassic Park Jeep 10: Completed - Location: Minnesota
https://www.facebook.com/JPMaintenanceJeep/
Remember... a correct font is as important as the correct paint color!

Boost1995

Post by Boost1995 » June 4th, 2017, 7:21 pm

Awesome job so far! I'm loving the license plate frame!

Mark Brody

Post by Mark Brody » June 17th, 2017, 1:46 pm

Received this in the mail today. Unfortunately, with my upcoming schedule and the work I still need to do on the bumper, I think it'll be about a month before I can put it on the car.

Last edited by Mark Brody on August 19th, 2017, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frifeb

Post by frifeb » July 8th, 2017, 1:34 pm

Hi Mark the pictures aren't appearing. It says "Please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting"