First post new build starting (finished)

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
dlpmx

First post new build starting (finished)

Post by dlpmx » November 20th, 2016, 1:20 pm

New to the forum and starting a JP build. My son (28) wanted a jeep for some time so we had a watch on for one. Finally found a 94 jeep YJ for a good price. The owner had bought it 2 weeks prior for $2800. It was leaking trans fluid which he thought was power steering and had a few other problems. When he took it to be worked on, the repair shop scared him so bad about the frame tails being rusted (and him not being killed driving it) he sold us the jeep in the repair shops lot for $1600. The tranny was slipping which I'm sure he thought ment a new trans was needed and tried to jam it to us. Added 2 qts of fluid and drove it home. Fixed the tranny lines and welded in frame tail repairs and put new brakes all around. Well it runs and stops now so when asking my son what color he wanted he came up with JP paint job. The jeep will be painted in the JP colors but will have a few differences from the movie jeeps. First it's a hard top. We went with upper windshield mounts for lights with a light mount bar on top.(Like a big piece of angle iron.) We will be mounting 4 Daylighters to the bar and LEDs in the lower corners of the windshield. Also going to put 2 6 " round lights where a winch should mounted. Because of rust issues we are installing Diamond plate covers on the rear corners and rocker panels. I found 2 new front fenders on Craigslist locally for $120 and will be installing them. I'll get some pics when I pull it out of the garage and turn it around to weld the steering box frame. Then well be getting ready for some paint.

D
Last edited by dlpmx on June 11th, 2017, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

KytorIndustries

Re: First post new build starting

Post by KytorIndustries » November 20th, 2016, 1:53 pm

Looking forward to the progress. You can fix anything on a Jeep with three tools:

1) Angle Grinder
2) Mig Welder
3) Beer

Good look, and have fun. Instead of riveting/screwing in diamond plate, look for used rust free tubs and replace the whole thing. I'm not sure where you're located, but there are many Jeep yards across the country that sell them for $300-500.
Kytor Industries
kytor.com

dlpmx

Post by dlpmx » November 20th, 2016, 10:28 pm

I'll use body panel adhesive to attach the diamond plate. Not sure if we'll paint it the sand color or leave it natural. We'll probably redo it the right way a little at a time later. Right now he needs a driver so were trying to get it on the road.

D

Boost1995

Post by Boost1995 » November 21st, 2016, 12:55 am

Awesome! Can't wait to see all the build pics!

dlpmx

Post by dlpmx » November 29th, 2016, 9:09 pm

This is what we started with. So far we have repaired both rear frame tails, Front frame by the steering box. replaced all brake parts. and installed a light bar I'll get another picture of the bar in a day or so. We also replaced the fuel tank skid plate. We took the tank down to weld the frame and when we went to pick it up to move it the tank stayed on the ground. the skid pan had rusted through completely. Not sure how it didn't fall out while driving.

D

[URL=http://s236.photobucket.com/user/c ... .jpg[/img][/url]

Boost1995

Post by Boost1995 » November 29th, 2016, 10:47 pm

Awesome project! Sounds like you're making some really good progress so far.

dlpmx

Post by dlpmx » March 20th, 2017, 5:08 pm

OK guys been working a lot of hours so not much time for the build or computer. here are a few more pics. First pic isnt the jeep but the wagon PaPa built for the grand daughter over the winter.The wagon has shocks,under body lights,and a stereo.those are golf car rims and ATV tires

The upper windshield light mount. with Daylighters and lower corner LED's

The back end with diamond plate installed. (no rust holes Whoo Hoo !!!) You'll also notice LED tail lights. Autozone specials for $100

The back of the jeep painted. Got the paint free and it looked good but, When the side started to get painted I decided it was too gold.

So checked with the local auto paint store and for $238 their mixing up a gal of single stage in the proper color Sand beige poly and for $86 ea. 2 qts of the proper red.

And the Stickers,plates,and a few other goodies.

Also got a 102" whip and figured if it has an antenna why not a CB so a 40 channel midland now occupies the space where the ash tray was.

D

dlpmx

Post by dlpmx » June 9th, 2017, 10:23 pm

well finally rolled it out of the garage. My son wanted to swap wheels so I never did anything with the white spokes. When he picked it up he decided to do the red wheels so we peel coated the white spokes red. he received several nice comments while driving it home including one tip on where a dinosaur was.
[imgImage][/img]

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Re: First post new build starting (finished)

Post by ratrace427 » June 15th, 2017, 5:27 am

I know where you can find dinosaurs.... In the gas tank!
I am John Sisemore on Facebook