Kytor Industries JP17

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
KytorIndustries

Re: Kytor Industries JP17

Post by KytorIndustries » December 20th, 2016, 9:09 am

The low gloss came out much lower gloss than I expected, to the point where the red turned into a dull white-ish pink after clear coat was put down. What's strange is that the doors came out the proper low gloss, while the tub did not, and the hood is somewhere in-between.

The gun settings have not changed, relative humidity is 40-50%, mixture is identical. The only thing I can think of as the cause is temperature. It was about 75F when I did the doors, about 50F when I did the tub, and 60F when I did the hood (garage temps). I've heard anything less than 65F turns clearcoat dull, I guess that's true.

Either way... nothing that buffing can't fix. I'm using the Dewalt DWP849X with 3M 05737 pad and 3M 06085 rubbing compound (1 qt). I will probably not be using machine polish because I don't want a high gloss shine.

Four day weekend coming up, I'm going to paint the windshield front, flares, and wheels (including spare). Time permitting, I'll also install/wire the rear fog lights and trailer wiring harness.

Before rubbing compound:
IMG_8870.JPG
After rubbing compound (applied to driver's side slope of hood only in this picture):
IMG_8872.JPG
I also had to do some repairs to the flares:
IMG_8879.JPG
Kytor Industries
kytor.com

labskyfilms

Post by labskyfilms » December 21st, 2016, 10:45 pm

Hey KI,
17 is looking great! I wish I had your resources for painting, Its been under freezing temps until late afternoon here, which as you know does great things for paint...

Anyway. Its looking great, cant wait to see yours finished!
1988 YJ Wrangler Laredo to JP 18
@labskyfilms on twitter
www.labskyfilms.com

"Never trust a fart"

KytorIndustries

Post by KytorIndustries » December 26th, 2016, 12:12 pm

Progress update. Everything is painted except for the corners (main wheels) and the lightbar (which I don't have). I've sent DriverGT5 who is selling lightbars multiple PM's with no response, so I'm turning to have one fab'd locally. I'll get quotes this week or next. Thankfully these items can be done in isolation later and future tasks aren't dependent on them.

Fender flares, mirrors and spare wheel hardware painted. All of the little details. I got a snowflake key lug nut to prevent spare wheel theft.
IMG_8934.JPG
IMG_8935.JPG

Spare wheel is painted.
IMG_8940.JPG

I decided to sand stripe edges, scuff (600) and re-clear the tub, not only for more strength and protection, but mainly to have perfectly smooth stripe edges. I want it to be seamless. It turned out great!
IMG_8942.JPG
Kytor Industries
kytor.com

Boost1995

Post by Boost1995 » December 26th, 2016, 2:46 pm

Man 17 is coming along nicely. 2017 is gonna be full of top notch JP Jeep. Looking good!

KytorIndustries

Post by KytorIndustries » December 26th, 2016, 5:13 pm

I found information on this forum for the tow eyes incomplete. So I'm designing my own and I'm going to have a set fabricated. Based on images and dimensions grabbed around, this is what I came up with. Don't build to this. I'll update later with a revised (or not) drawing after confirming fit. Maybe I'll sell them on here if there's any interest, the price is right and the fit/form/function is acceptable.

Don't let the geometry misalignment fool you, it only looks off due to the angle of the photo and the plane overlay.
Tow Hook 2.png
Tow Hook 4.png
Tow Eye - Render.JPG
DWG.png
Kytor Industries
kytor.com

nitroneon85

Post by nitroneon85 » December 27th, 2016, 2:31 pm

First pic your blue outline doesnt go all the way back. I'm sure you know that though

KytorIndustries

Post by KytorIndustries » December 27th, 2016, 2:40 pm

nitroneon85 wrote:First pic your blue outline doesnt go all the way back. I'm sure you know that though
Yeah, as I noted it's not a perfect overlay due to the angle of the camera so it looks incorrect. If I matched the picture exactly, geometrically it would end up being deeper than the winch plate and wouldn't actually fit. I'm having a rapid prototype (3D print) created and will verify fit-up sometime over the next week or two.
Kytor Industries
kytor.com

Gulbiron
Completed JP Jeep

Post by Gulbiron » December 28th, 2016, 2:33 pm

Hi,

I am interested with a set of the tow eyes.
I can't wait to see the final result.

KytorIndustries

Post by KytorIndustries » December 29th, 2016, 12:19 pm

Gulbiron wrote:Hi,

I am interested with a set of the tow eyes.
I can't wait to see the final result.
I'll keep you posted. I have rapid prototype (3D printed) samples coming at the end of next week. Based on fit up and any revisions necessary, I'll get quotes for a steel production run sometime in January.
Kytor Industries
kytor.com

JP Junkie

Post by JP Junkie » December 29th, 2016, 2:00 pm

Amazing Jeep. Keep up the great work. I'm interested to see a quote for those tow plates...
Jurassic Park Jeep 10: Completed - Location: Minnesota
https://www.facebook.com/JPMaintenanceJeep/
Remember... a correct font is as important as the correct paint color!