Kytor Industries JP17

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
KytorIndustries

Re: Kytor Industries JP17

Post by KytorIndustries » December 30th, 2016, 7:04 am

Budgetary quotes on the tow eyes so far have been... unfavorable. Unless you guys want to pay close to $300 a set, which to me is ridiculous for small sqft carbon plate. The issue is that these folks are all quoting off a CNC machine, this is a very simple pattern that should be done by hand fab. Tolerance does not need to be CNC precise. I have about 20 RFQ's out off my reference-only dwg and will continue negotiations and then open it up to a group buy.

I picked up a sound bar, it's not OE but I'm okay with that. The bracket holes didn't line up with sport bar tappings, so new holes and fresh paint solved that. The supplied hardware was the wrong thread type as well, thankfully I had what was needed laying around. And because everything else was going so smoothly, the wiring harness is completely different. That's okay I tracked down the factory wiring diagram (assuming PO didn't rewire down below) for that they call "halo speakers" and I'm going to rip out both of these garbage molex plugs and solder in proper 6 pin waterproof plugs.

IMG_9005.JPG
IMG_9007.JPG
Soundbar Custom Harness.png
Soundbar Custom Harness.png (343.78 KiB) Viewed 10418 times
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (5.41 KiB) Viewed 10414 times
Last edited by KytorIndustries on December 30th, 2016, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kytor Industries
kytor.com

nitroneon85

Post by nitroneon85 » December 30th, 2016, 7:47 am

Good job. I knew the quotes for the tow eyes would be massive. People make a big deal out of simple things when they over analyze it. My buddy has a grinder and a welder and can make them for a dime a dozen,lol. Good old fashioned hand machining

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

KytorIndustries

Post by KytorIndustries » December 30th, 2016, 8:19 am

Right, it's a tow eye not a jet turbine. I have many sources including some local fab shops quoting it, I'll find a reasonable supplier.

I'm going to make the hole 13/16" instead of 1/2" such that it will accept standard 3/4" shackles. Will anybody have heartburn if it doesn't match the movie's pretty much useless 1/2" hole?

Example:
Untitled.JPG
Kytor Industries
kytor.com

nitroneon85

Post by nitroneon85 » December 30th, 2016, 4:23 pm

I'm good, I think being useful is better than being 'canon", I hate that word.

JP Junkie

Post by JP Junkie » December 30th, 2016, 5:25 pm

KytorIndustries wrote:I'm going to make the hole 13/16" instead of 1/2" such that it will accept standard 3/4" shackles.
That's a fantastic idea actually.
Jurassic Park Jeep 10: Completed - Location: Minnesota
https://www.facebook.com/JPMaintenanceJeep/
Remember... a correct font is as important as the correct paint color!

eagle5740
Completed JP Jeep

Post by eagle5740 » January 1st, 2017, 9:30 am

I actually did a run of tow eyes earlier in the year. Cost $195 a set which included shipping.

Check out below:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=6002

KytorIndustries

Post by KytorIndustries » January 1st, 2017, 11:35 am

Cool, nice work it came out great. Looks like your fitup was pretty good too. If I can get the price down maybe it will create more interest. $195 is even a bit steep for something no one besides us on this forum will ever notice.
Kytor Industries
kytor.com

nitroneon85

Post by nitroneon85 » January 1st, 2017, 6:37 pm

True that. Sounds outrageous for what they are, couldn't pay more than $100 a pair and still feel good about it. Sell them bare steel, people can paint or powder on their own. I have a guy that can powder them for $20.

JP Junkie

Post by JP Junkie » January 1st, 2017, 8:20 pm

eagle5740 wrote:I actually did a run of tow eyes earlier in the year. Cost $195 a set which included shipping.
I forgot that you did those! Sorry about that.

I personally wouldn't mind ~$200 for a quality built set, though if cheaper un-painted would always be a plus!

I agree too, it's a tough market to sell these sense we're the only ones interested in screen accurate Jeeps and they can't really be used for proper offroading unless built and tested for that sort of thing.
Jurassic Park Jeep 10: Completed - Location: Minnesota
https://www.facebook.com/JPMaintenanceJeep/
Remember... a correct font is as important as the correct paint color!

KytorIndustries

Post by KytorIndustries » January 4th, 2017, 3:14 pm

JP Junkie wrote:I personally wouldn't mind ~$200 for a quality built set, though if cheaper un-painted would always be a plus!

I agree too, it's a tough market to sell these sense we're the only ones interested in screen accurate Jeeps and they can't really be used for proper offroading unless built and tested for that sort of thing.
Material is cheap. Paint isn't going to cut the cost very much, and these are so small you can easily powdercoat at home in your own oven. Almost all of the cost is in the machining (CNC or hand fab). And I personally would have no issues using these as an offroad recovery point, many Jeeps out there have owner-built bumpers or recovery points of some kind. This is half inch steel unless the shop completely screws up the weld procedure it's not going anywhere. The "not rated for actual use" thing is more of a CYA.

Onto the updates...

3D printer fabricator sent me an email that their larger object printer broke down, so the part is delayed. I'm out of town all next week, so there's going to be a bit of a delay on this resolution.

It was really damn nice to do some "clean" work for once. Wiring and soldering is relaxing compared to fighting stuck bolts, walking away like the Tin Man covered in anti seize, or sanding, painting and buffing. I'm glad to be over the hump. All that is left to paint at this point are the corners (four main wheels).

The soundbar is fully wired, I replaced the bulbs with 194 LEDs and wow, is this sharp looking. The lights are fantastic, no more fumbling in the dark YJ style. The six speakers sound great too. I have a Pioneer Bluetooth stereo coming in a few days and I'll pipe it in. Yeah, not movie accurate, whatever. I'm not suffering through cassettes when I can have Spotify.

An unused 30/9.50R15 BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO (spare) also just arrived in the mail, and I'm having it mounted tomorrow. This is an awesome aggressive looking tire. I'm very glad I went with the 30" size, they look so much better than the 235/17's.

I also have some more parts coming in the mail:
  • Pioneer MVH-X390BT Bluetooth Stereo
  • Delphi Connectors (For Fog Lights Harness into OE)
  • Metra 72-1002 (Front Speaker Harnesses into OE)
  • Metra 70-1002 (Stereo Harness into OE)
Soldering.jpg
Soundbar Installed.jpg
Kytor Industries
kytor.com