Kytor Industries JP17

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
nitroneon85

Post by nitroneon85 » November 24th, 2016, 5:02 pm

I have another tub waiting for the second JP Jeep in the works. This one is already welded up and smoothed out though.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

nitroneon85

Kytor Industries JP17

Post by nitroneon85 » November 24th, 2016, 5:04 pm

All cleaned up, need some finishing touches.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

KytorIndustries

Re: Kytor Industries JP17

Post by KytorIndustries » November 25th, 2016, 6:00 pm

That's some impressive and quick restoration progress nitroneon.

My progress has been slowed with the holiday.

Rear frame and bumperettes restoration, and tailgate spray. I clipped the third brake light cable, I'm going to install a waterproof connector plug:
IMG_8637.JPG
IMG_8639.JPG
Plus some finer details:
IMG_8644.JPG
Kytor Industries
kytor.com

Boost1995

Post by Boost1995 » November 26th, 2016, 8:09 pm

Wow! You are making some awesome progress! Keep it up and be patient. It's looking really good so far.

Leethallee

Post by Leethallee » November 28th, 2016, 3:45 pm

Wow you put a lot more effort in getting the angle of the stripes right than I did, then again the TJ body is different, so It wouldn't have mattered how much I tried it would never be the same as on a YJ.
Also I just realised we both have a JP17, mine was a mistake, I had ordered JP18 decals at the start of 2016 and when we came to paint it, I found out there was another JP18 already in Perth, Western Australia...what are the odds, so it was simply a case of choosing a number that was easy to make with masking tape, I cut the 8 off from the decal and made a 7.
You are doing a great job with the painting, are you using 2 Pak paint?

Look forward to the rest of your build
:D :D :D

KytorIndustries

Post by KytorIndustries » November 28th, 2016, 10:32 pm

I had a bit of a setback. The flattener (added to clear coat to reduce gloss) went bad, noticed after I got part way through re-clearing. Will have to sand it down, hope I don't cut through the original clear and re-clear again. The paint shop was back ordered on flattener so I'm at a complete stop work/outage relative to paint. This is a shame because I wanted to have the paint booth ripped down last weekend so I could roll the other [trail] Jeep in and weld the frame.

In the meantime I worked on the small pieces and parts. I'm a details person, every single nut and bolt matters. I ordered new high quality nylon door straps, rubber caps that prevent door straps from coming off, I restored the door strap hooks, retapped the holes I wasn't happy with, and replaced the door strap hook hardware with tapered head stainless steel bolts. I also restored door handles, new hood tie downs, and a bunch of misc stainless steel hardware.

I also sorted out my tie in points for the rear fog switchover relay. I used the factory wiring diagrams as a reference. I can honestly say, after working with ladder schematics for so long, I've come to hate point-to-point wiring diagrams with a burning passion. Also... the Jeep engineers need to get their proper color consistency/conventions together, one page says "Purple/Black" wire the next says "Violet/Black". Well guys, which is it? Someone go back to the early 90's and teach them modern manufacturing quality control methods.
IMG_8663.JPG
Kytor Industries
kytor.com

labskyfilms

Post by labskyfilms » November 29th, 2016, 7:36 pm

lol... is it violet or purple. "you mean purple or other purple?" Some of us can differentiate anyway lol. Looks like you have a good rhythm going, no one else has clear coat flattener?
1988 YJ Wrangler Laredo to JP 18
@labskyfilms on twitter
www.labskyfilms.com

"Never trust a fart"

KytorIndustries

Post by KytorIndustries » December 10th, 2016, 3:03 pm

I've had a few setbacks, but I'm pushing forward again. Paintbooth is ripped down, I'm done with everything except that requires BC/CC except the windshield front, mirrors, and hood. I've been traveling for work the past two weeks so any progress has been sporadic and slow.

Although not really necessary, I painted the inside of the windshield Sand Beige Poly to match the movie. (Not Pictured). I also replaced the wiper motor that was making some noise, and restored the VIN plate.

Doors are back on, brand new weather seals, labels applied, door handles have been re-painted, springs have been oiled. Good as new.
IMG_8782.JPG
The rear area is done. I haven't mounted the rear fog lights yet, but I did restore the fuel neck cover, the license plate frame, the tail lights, repainted all mild steel hardware semi-gloss black, restored the spare wheel bracket, replaced the spare wheel bracket hardware with stainless steel, painted the tailgate latch, replaced one of the spare lug nuts with a unique key anti-theft nut, bumper was previously restored at a prior step. You can't see it here but I also chopped the third light wire and installed a waterproof 4-pin plug. If the state inspection gives me any grief about not having a third light I can easily pop it on and plug it in in a few seconds.
IMG_8794.JPG
IMG_8797.jpg
Earlier on when removing the door sport bars, I found out the driver's side bar's rear bolt was completely sheared. Great. It took some work with left hand drill bits, but after slowly stepping up from pilot to 1/4" it finally broke free. Removed the passenger side and noticed the threads were all buggered up. I'm going to retap both of these roll bars and replace the hardware with new. In the meantime, the bars are getting repainted semi-gloss black which I feel looks best with a spice cover over it.
IMG_8802.JPG
Kytor Industries
kytor.com

Boost1995

Post by Boost1995 » December 10th, 2016, 10:57 pm

Wow! Looks like you're making some awesome progress. Keep the updates coming.

KytorIndustries

Post by KytorIndustries » December 12th, 2016, 12:40 am

I'm completely exhausted but the hood is done. The angle sweeping from the sides of the hood to the front of the hinge is a bit tricky, however having the laser line made it very easy to put down straight.
2016-12-11 Hood Paint Progress.jpg
Kytor Industries
kytor.com