Kytor Industries JP17

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
KytorIndustries

Re: Kytor Industries JP17

Post by KytorIndustries » January 7th, 2017, 10:08 am

Bluetooth stereo is wired and installed. Spare tire is mounted. I'm extremely happy I went with 30" tires!
IMG_9149.JPG
IMG_9177.JPG
Kytor Industries
kytor.com

Boost1995

Post by Boost1995 » January 8th, 2017, 10:26 am

Awesome job on the sound bar! Congrats on soldering the wires, a true sign of quality work.

KytorIndustries

Post by KytorIndustries » January 8th, 2017, 2:20 pm

Thanks! To do it right doesn't take much longer. Solder + shrink tubing + waterproof connectors (where needed) all the way around for anything custom.

The rapid prototype arrived. The bad news is that it needed modification (which I fully expected). The good news is that it's not that far off and I've drafted the final revision for production.

A very tight fit, it needed some modification...
IMG_9180.JPG

A miter saw made quick work of the 3D print!
IMG_9188.JPG

Dimensions revised and validated with a RAPIDER prototype.
IMG_9191.JPG
Tow Eye Render - Rev B.JPG
Rev B - Page 1.png
Rev B - Page 2.png
Rev B - Page 3.png
Kytor Industries
kytor.com

KytorIndustries

Post by KytorIndustries » January 8th, 2017, 7:27 pm

We had some snow today, I took the tail Jeep (nicknamed "SJ" for Shitty Jeep) out for some fun. Aired down to 12 psi and performed flawlessly. Had to perform recovery duty for an off-road vehicle on the way back. I have some upgrades coming for this YJ as well, but that's a totally different discussion.
IMG_9203.JPG
IMG_9203.JPG (196.67 KiB) Viewed 9931 times

Back to JP17, I'm using the Delta foglights considering how extremely rare Sahara YJ foglights are. The difference is so tiny, I'm not at all concerned.

Left: Delta, Right: OE Mopar
Fog Lights.jpg

So here we go, time to plug them in and.... d'oh!
IMG_9195.JPG

Back to the Battlestation for more parts and custom connector creations. I didn't want to remove the OE harnesses, so I grabbed some 14-16awg Delphi connectors off eBay to integrate the fog lamps properly. Since I don't have the "Delphi Tool" I just use standard crimping tools and soldered it for a secure connection. It's absolutely not going anywhere.
IMG_9179sm.jpg
IMG_9205.JPG

Being that this is in a high corrosion area, I applied some Permatex Dielectic Grease. I'm using this on nearly every electrical connector exposed to weather. We're dealing with 2+ decade old stuff, guys. Do everything you can to preserve it and prevent downstream entropy. You'll be happy you did. And would you look at that, it fits.
22058.jpg
22058.jpg (40.91 KiB) Viewed 9931 times
IMG_9208.JPG

Factory fog light switch still works!
IMG_9207.JPG
Kytor Industries
kytor.com

JP Junkie

Post by JP Junkie » January 8th, 2017, 7:52 pm

Fantastic work. Agreed on the Dielectric Grease... That stuff is well worth the money, esp. for Jeeps that can get very wet/dirty. (And doesn't cost that much).
Jurassic Park Jeep 10: Completed - Location: Minnesota
https://www.facebook.com/JPMaintenanceJeep/
Remember... a correct font is as important as the correct paint color!

KytorIndustries

Post by KytorIndustries » January 9th, 2017, 3:28 pm

The fog lights sit further back on brackets. Being that I don't want to drill into the bumper as there's no coming back from that, I purchased a brand new (very rare to find new) fog lamp bracket, Mopar 56002290 on eBay. One problem, he only had one of them.

So naturally I whipped up a quick CAD drawing going by visual only. Once the part arrives I'll adjust dimensions and make it an accurate substitution and post the drawing. I'm going to make one of these myself, should be easy. That should also help people make their own in the future.

Left: Actual Mopar; Right: 3D Render
Mopar 56002290 Render.jpg
Last edited by KytorIndustries on January 9th, 2017, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kytor Industries
kytor.com

Boost1995

Post by Boost1995 » January 9th, 2017, 3:59 pm

Great work! Those parts are gonna look awesome once you get them finished up

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » January 13th, 2017, 6:45 am

I always choose those connectors as well. Perfect choice! Also now that you have the model and a 1:1 print for the tow hooks, think about making them with a track torch. Its the cheaper choice. Its a blow torch on a electric driven track. After, you will have to use a belt sander to clean the edges.
I am John Sisemore on Facebook

KytorIndustries

Post by KytorIndustries » January 14th, 2017, 12:21 pm

ratrace427 wrote:I always choose those connectors as well. Perfect choice! Also now that you have the model and a 1:1 print for the tow hooks, think about making them with a track torch. Its the cheaper choice. Its a blow torch on a electric driven track. After, you will have to use a belt sander to clean the edges.
I'm probably just going to bench-build them myself with a handheld plasma cutter. It won't be perfect at first, but I can grind down the imperfections easily enough.

I updated the first post with the latest drawing revisions for the fog lamp bracket, tow eye, and light bar.
Kytor Industries
kytor.com

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » January 14th, 2017, 8:41 pm

I can see a plasma cutter working great, even better if you had a guide to follow. Keeping the cutting head 90 degrees to the working surface will require a steady hand. I have not been keeping up but once you are done we might be the only two guys with the tow hooks. good work!
I am John Sisemore on Facebook