Kytor Industries JP17

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Re: Kytor Industries JP17

Post by ratrace427 » March 22nd, 2017, 5:38 am

hmm that is interesting.. I think a solid state flasher would be built to work on multiple vehicles but flash at the same speed on each just like the original. It is the job of the electrical engineers to match the system draw to the "flashers" available for parts. Since each car in our jeeps age group has the same idea of using the current draw to make the original flasher operate it is still safe to say something is wrong with the current draw.

If the bulbs are correct then maybe its a bad ground? Is there anything you want me to check on my jeep?
I am John Sisemore on Facebook

KytorIndustries

Post by KytorIndustries » March 22nd, 2017, 5:43 am

A speedy reply because I just happened to be enjoying my morning coffee at my battlestation.

After some research, it turns out it's a two-fold problem:
1) Even the digital flashers need a little bit of current draw. I un-replaced the front grill turn signal lamp with a conventional; everything works fine... until...
2) I turn on the parking or headlights. Once you do this, it passes the side lamps through a relay, and the side lamps don't have enough draw for the relay.

I don't know the specifics, and I don't care to be honest. But what I do know is that you can't replace all of the turn lamps with LED unless you do one of the following:
1) Re-wire the system (No thanks)
2) Install load resistors

So I'm just going to run conventional bulbs in the front and side, with LED rear, until I get time to solder in some load resistors.
Kytor Industries
kytor.com

Nick727

Post by Nick727 » March 22nd, 2017, 8:06 am

Sorry it took so long for me to see this. You'll have to add resistors to wherever you run LEDs. You will probably still experience issues with conventional bulbs up front and led in the rear with out adding resistors to them. I had this issue in my TJ when I converted everything minus the head lights to LEDs. It took me a couple hours to figure it out. Some LEDs you can buy come with resistor built into the "bulb" assembly you so wont have to splice into your harness. I just spliced into mine since I had the resistors and wasn't going to buy different LED's to make it work right. lol
Must go faster...

Leethallee

Post by Leethallee » April 1st, 2017, 11:04 pm

Hi Kytor,
I love the tread pattern on the BF Goodrich tyres, the certainly improve the look over the standard tyres, I noticed you are in New York. I will be visiting the Big Apple from Australia from the 10th-21st of April, since we both have number 17, I was wondering if we could meet up? I will be staying in Brooklyn, are you very far?

Took my Jeep to the Perth Comic Con, it was a big hit, I was going as a Storm Trooper (I know, shouldn't mix the franchises), but my costume didn't arrive in time, so I went as Indiana Jones
IMG_20170325_133359.jpg
IMG_20170325_101227.jpg

KytorIndustries

Post by KytorIndustries » April 2nd, 2017, 6:35 am

Haha, Indiana Jones in a JP Jeep. That's great.

Your TJ looks great by the way. It looks like you use Rustoleum fossil, did you? Is it rattlecan or HVLP?

NY is actually a pretty large mostly rural place. Sure, it's looks tiny up against Australia, but from where I am smack-dab in the middle of the state, it takes me 5-6 hours to get to Brooklyn (make that 6-7 hours in a Jeep).

NY-Australia.png
Kytor Industries
kytor.com

KytorIndustries

Post by KytorIndustries » April 2nd, 2017, 12:48 pm

Next weekend I'm in a Gambler 500 rally race, and my team's vehicle is a Cherokee XJ. We decided to rattlecan it JP 17 1/2.

Spared all expense.
IMG_0121.JPG
Kytor Industries
kytor.com

Leethallee

Post by Leethallee » April 2nd, 2017, 8:34 pm

Hi Kytor, the XJ looks cool...
I figured you would be a fair distance, but I thought I would ask. I get the same here, often friends/family from the UK will say do you know so and so, they live in WA and I have to explain that Great Britain would fit into WA just over 10 times! WA is bigger than Texas, California, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona and Nevada all added together, so I understand the distance thing.
Thanks for the compliment, my TJ was a quick spray job, my friend is handy with Two Pack, we used the correct Sand Beige, but satin not the matte finish and the red is Dulux Flame Red to match the powder coating on the wheels. There is a guy here in Perth, who bought a YJ grille, bonnet, front guards and flares and modified a TJ, it looks fantatstic, I certainly didn't put as much effort as him or others on this forum, but I'm happy with the results and so are many people that see it, I'm always getting compliments, it is my everyday driver. The correct alloy wheels are impossible to get here, so I opted for the original steel wheels as I found a pre-production photo on the internet showing a JP Jeep sporting the steel wheels. I'm still adding items, I fitted Rugged Ridge bumperettes recently and I'm waiting for a 102" whip antenna to arrive, I was thinking of buying a spare TJ grille and trying to modify it to accept rectangular headlights, but I'm in no rush. I'm looking forward to seeing photos of yours once it is finished.
Prep work
Prep work
Sand beige application
Sand beige application
Adding the red
Adding the red
Finished product
Finished product
Cheers,

Lee

KytorIndustries

Post by KytorIndustries » April 7th, 2017, 5:56 am

Nice work, it came out great. The TJ builds are growing on me.

I woke up this morning to more snow. Time to leave NY?

Anyway... I found a shop locally that will build the movie accurate tow eyes. I have to do a bulk order to get reasonable pricing, which would be between $50-100 + shipping per pair depending on how many people want a set. The price plummets with volume.

Question for the group, before I have the shop convert the drawing and make prototypes... Are we all okay with 5/8" shackle support? 3/4" shackles are most common out there, but in my opinion completely overkill for light duty 4x4 (Jeep, Xterra, etc) use. I'm going 5/8" for a few reasons:

1) Tow eye is not rated, but I can't control what people use it for. I'd rather people don't push their luck with a 50,000 lbs ultimate strength 3/4" shackle.
2) Supporting a 3/4" shackle increases front hole diameter and decreases material margin of tow eye.
3) Smaller hole is closer to the look of the screen accurate tow eyes.

5/8" Shackle Specs:
* 6,000Lb pull capacity
* 3/4 in. Pin Diameter

Unless I hear an outcry otherwise, I'm going 5/8".
Kytor Industries
kytor.com

KytorIndustries

Post by KytorIndustries » April 14th, 2017, 10:15 am

The first ever Gamber 500 NY was a huge success. Met a lot of great people and had a blast riding around. Unfortunately the Honda traveling with us snapped a timing belt about 410 miles in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-ZwFP1TkqM
IMG_0190.JPG
File_005.jpeg
Kytor Industries
kytor.com

KytorIndustries

Post by KytorIndustries » April 29th, 2017, 7:10 pm

Update. Weather is nice and I'm making progress again. I decided to sell the trail YJ (the SJ "Shitty Jeep") after a minor passenger spine injury on some rough terrain. I bought a Grand Cherokee WJ, which is extremely capable off-road and also a little more civilized. But don't worry, JP17 isn't going anywhere.

I have been having trouble locating another Mopar 56002290 fog lamp bracket, but I did find a Mopar 56002830 which is very similar but intended for the older rectangular fog lamps. So I took an angle grinder, vice and hammer to it and turned it into a less than perfect 56002290. No one but me will ever know the difference.
Mopar 56002830 Fog Lamp.JPG
Mopar 56002830 Modified to 56002290.jpg
I'm also painting the light bar. I couldn't figure out a good way to mount it for paint, so I welded together some conduit tube to make a paint stand.
IMG_0422.JPG

Lastly, and probably the most exciting to us detail nerds, the movie accurate tow eye replicas are off to a vendor and I have my sample set ETA set for 5/5. These are being laser cut so they will be very nice. Once I verify everything is okay with fit form function I'm going to start a group buy thread for volume pricing. I calculate these will be good for 34,700 lbs load but I'm not going to go through any formal testing process so these will technically be "prop only".
Kytor Industries
kytor.com