JP21 build- Gainesville, FL

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Espo78

Re: JP21 build- Gainesville, FL

Post by Espo78 » February 18th, 2017, 6:13 pm

Since this has become a running blog of work I'm doing I'll just keep posting here as a way of keeping record. I was all happy with my new tires and someone pulls up next to me and rolls down the window...I was halfway expecting a compliment on my little Jeep with its new shoes, but instead I was greeted with "You have no brake lights". Great.

I got home and started going over things, thinking maybe the hacked in trailer wiring harness had something to do with it, or maybe since I sprayed out the tub and cleaned it last weekend I shorted out something. But then I took a look at the fuse panel. There was NO FUSE for the brake lights. However there was a fuse in the space above it, which was marked for nothing. So I moved it. And now my brake lights work. So I guess I haven't had brake lights since I bought this thing! Second problem so far that has been fuse related. I Just checked a diagram and several fuses are the wrong size. I'll swap them out in the next day or so.

Espo78

Post by Espo78 » February 24th, 2017, 6:44 pm

I ordered and installed the missing center caps for my wheels yesterday. I also found out the fuse I moved to the brake light location was for the fog lights. I"m not sure if that is the factory wiring for them but everything appears to be factory as far as I can tell.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=15715

Espo78

Post by Espo78 » March 26th, 2017, 8:35 pm

Time for another round of updates...even though I don't think anyone is reading my thread lol.

Saw this the other day:

I bought a new output shaft seal for $4 and proceded to replace it. My impatience caused me to crack the tailshaft housing while trying to get the old seal out. Oops. $50 and 2 days later I had a new one from Amazon and I replaced it.

Draining the fluid was an eye opener...

Yeah that's not good. and not very much came out. I refilled it with about 2 qts of ATF and I will flush it and refill in a few days.

All back together:

No more leaks!!

Well....until tonight, when I started smelling a strong odor of gas as I pulled into my neighborhood. Crawled under and.....

I'll have to tackle this tomorrow. I should also check the diff fluid because I'm sure if the transfer case had water in it so do the diffs. :(

Espo78

Post by Espo78 » March 26th, 2017, 9:20 pm

For some good news I did get to drive it with the top off for a bit before the gas started leaking...I love driving this thing!

Chase65

Post by Chase65 » March 27th, 2017, 1:14 am

You've got a good Jeep to start with, looks fun with the top off! Hopefully you don't run into many more problems
1993 YJ Sahara
1994 Explorer Limited
2004 Mercedes ML350

marscreature
Completed JP Jeep

Post by marscreature » March 27th, 2017, 6:20 am

1st thing when I got my 94 YJ home is I changed a lot of fluids to see how things were. Changed the fluid engine, transmission, differentials, and transfer case, then topped off the coolant and brake fluid.
Thankfully all my fluids looked okay but still a good things to do.
This year i'm getting BFGs for it finally.

Your jeep looks really nice, lot less body and frame rust than mine.
1994 Wrangler Sahara - JP28 in Michigan

Espo78

Post by Espo78 » March 27th, 2017, 6:16 pm

Thanks..yeah one of the reasons I really wanted this one was the lack of rust. There is none. It lived in central Florida it's whole life. The only fluid I haven't checked so far is the diffs. I kinda feel like I saved this thing. It was a gallon low on coolant when I bought it, and now the transfer case issue. Transmission was "just rebuilt" but who really knows. PO had no receipts. Fluid was fresh in it though.

Today after work I got the fuel filter changed out along with the dryrotted hoses on either end of it. Fairly painless fix for once. Seems to drive a little better, but it could be in my head. Here's how bad the hoses were:

Also the speedometer/odometer has been working with regularity. I wonder if the lack of fluid in the transfer case had anything to do with that, as I'm pretty sure the speedometer gear is there?

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » March 28th, 2017, 5:31 am

yes, the plastic speedo gear is in the transmission. That trans fluid looked like it was mostly water =( so i would pull the gear and see if its missing teeth. If you dont already know the gears are different colors depending on how many teeth they have. The teeth number should be stated on the gear somewhere.
I am John Sisemore on Facebook

JP Junkie

Post by JP Junkie » March 28th, 2017, 4:03 pm

Espo78 wrote:Time for another round of updates...even though I don't think anyone is reading my thread lol.
:) Keep the updates coming even if you think we're not looking. Even with the problems you're having, you are still in a good starting position!
Jurassic Park Jeep 10: Completed - Location: Minnesota
https://www.facebook.com/JPMaintenanceJeep/
Remember... a correct font is as important as the correct paint color!

RustyRodder

Post by RustyRodder » March 28th, 2017, 7:18 pm

I am enjoying reading everyones build!
JP25- Jurassic Park Maintenance, 1988 Jeep Comanche
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2680