Brandon's JP Jeep build - Houston, TX

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
wh1plash

Brandon's JP Jeep build - Houston, TX

Post by wh1plash » August 28th, 2016, 10:01 am

Been working on my Jeep enough, I thought its time to start a build thread here for you guys.

Now normally I'm all about movie-accuracy on prop builds, but I'm not sure what it is about this one. I really wanted to go with a TJ, and its still going to be my "fun car" aside from being a movie car. I found this TJ that was pretty rough cosmetically, but it already had some great stuff like a nice 4" suspension lift, brand new 35x12.5 tires, a nice LED light bar, bumpers already installed, etc. Done in a JP "theme" instead of "replica", this could be a really cool machine.

I should preface this build thread with the fact that the most in-depth work I've ever done on any car would be once replacing a dead power door lock motor in my old 2000 Ford Explorer. Not a car expert by any means, but I'm a pretty smart guy; there's nothing I'm too afraid to try.

Here's the first day I brought this old tired TJ home.

When i test drove it, I noticed I wasn't really getting the feel for the clutch, and i was still shuddering pretty hard on takeoff. I've had more than a few manual transmission vehicles, so after having it a couple days, I started to wonder if it wasn't me. Sure enough, the transmission mount was completely shot, and the transmission was basically held to the vehicle via the driveline. No wonder. New mount from Amazon Prime, and now it shifts no problem.

Makes me wonder about the engine mounts too, since they would be the same material and age... But we'll save that for another time.

Last edited by wh1plash on August 28th, 2016, 10:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
SL/TS/TK-32917
All my builds: http://brandoncrismon.com/

wh1plash

Re: Brandon's JP Jeep build - Houston, TX

Post by wh1plash » August 28th, 2016, 10:02 am

Starting to take the interior out, and this thing is dirty. Like really dirty. This Jeep has lived outside with its windows and doors off for something like the last 10 years. The seats are past rehab (foam is destroyed, frame is completely rusted), and the dash is in really rough shape. Sunbleached, and every possible clip and screw hole is broken.

Last edited by wh1plash on August 28th, 2016, 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
SL/TS/TK-32917

wh1plash

Post by wh1plash » August 28th, 2016, 10:06 am

The previous owner had sprayed the floor boards with really terrible rattlecan bedliner, which sucks. Its paper-thin, sandpaper texture, and not even consistent over the whole tub. I really want to do Monstaliner on the inside, so its gotta go. That spot in the passenger floorboard is me testing different chemicals. It looks like MEK will eat it off with some elbow grease, but its going to take the white factory paint with it. I'm ok with that compromise.

More stripping

This center console is pretty worn. Looks like it was actually camel tan originally, so I know its a transplant. Too bad a previous owner hit it with rattle can to turn it black. And now the paint is chipping and bubbling on the top of the arm rest. Not even going to try and rehab it.

SL/TS/TK-32917

wh1plash

Post by wh1plash » August 28th, 2016, 10:09 am

Got my kit of sample color chips from Monstaliner, think I got my colors picked out. The brown is "Jeep Spice" just for reference to the new seats I'm ordering. Looks like "Sans Panties" is a nice OD green color that should work great for the inside of the tub. Since I'm not going movie-replica accuracy, I'm just getting some nice clean aftermarket seats in Spice, and doing the tub in the green. So at least I have the color scheme of the Green/Tan Sahara.

The tailgate on this Jeep has a nice big crack in the sheet metal, so I ordered a new one. Of course it came with ZERO packing material in a cardboard box, and was crunced. They sent me a replacement, and it was ALSO crunched. So I called them up again, and they just gave me a partial credit refund, and I kept one of the dented ones. I straightened it out a bit by pinching it in a vice between some wood, and its not terrible (its not this one pictured). For half-price, I'll take it.

SL/TS/TK-32917

wh1plash

Post by wh1plash » August 28th, 2016, 10:11 am

Now this is much better. Ordered a brand new Tuffy metal locking center console in tan. Love it.

Now we're past the point of no return. Steering column removed, all dash and wiring harness removed. Battery disconnected first of course, for airbags.

When I was looking to buy the Jeep, I had noticed that the dash wasn't lining up quite right where the passenger airbag was. In fact, the passenger airbag flap was being held down with drywall screws. Yikes. The previous owner swore up and down that the airbag had never been deployed though. But I was still not optimistic. And whaddaya know...

Hey look, a package from celebrity machines.

Last edited by wh1plash on August 28th, 2016, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
SL/TS/TK-32917

wh1plash

Post by wh1plash » August 28th, 2016, 10:13 am

And I receive this box in the mail. A nice clean tan dash from a 2001 TJ, including a nice clean OEM airbag.

The new dash was sold with the warning that the wiring harness was damaged, which is fine. The wiring in my Jeep is actually fine, so I'm transferring everything over. I discovered that the headlight switch, running lights, and dash dimmer control is on the dash panel on my 1999, but it was moved to the turn signal stalk at some point before 2001. That should be interesting.

Wiring harness removed from the 2001 dash. I see what they mean by damaged. Someone had used a knife to try and cut the cable ties, and had nicked wires in several places. And one of the big molex connectors was shattered.

Last edited by wh1plash on August 28th, 2016, 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
SL/TS/TK-32917

wh1plash

Post by wh1plash » August 28th, 2016, 10:16 am

New dash is hung, now time to start reconnecting wires...

"Hold onto your butts..."

Steering column reattached, all wires reattached, and gauge cluster reattached. Reconnect battery, and the Jeep fired up first try. Whew...

SL/TS/TK-32917

GuyHaley

Post by GuyHaley » August 30th, 2016, 4:35 am

Wow you have a lot of work on your hands. I'm happy it looks like you know what you are doing. Haha. I would be lost

rujero
Vehicle Make/Model: 2005 Jeep TJU - MT

Post by rujero » August 30th, 2016, 7:31 am

Wow I don't think I could have gone so in depth with my repairs without someone there with me or at least a Haynes Manual or something haha.
2005 Jeep Wrangler TJU, MT - Boston MA

wh1plash

Post by wh1plash » August 30th, 2016, 6:09 pm

Hehe, well it looks like a lot all at once. But when you're taking it apart piece by piece, it makes sense as you go along. Luckily the Jeep is way more simple and mechanical than a lot of really newer cars.
SL/TS/TK-32917