JP 12 in Fairbanks Alaska

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
sfuflash23

Re: JP 12 in Fairbanks Alaska

Post by sfuflash23 » January 27th, 2013, 11:09 pm

Oh, the torx that I was using are craftsman. Thanks for the advice everyone.
Does someone go out in the park and pull up the dinosaurs skirts?

PaulRevere1991
Completed JP Jeep

Post by PaulRevere1991 » January 28th, 2013, 12:12 am

yea, the roll bar stayed in for paint cause of that exact reason.

sfuflash23

Post by sfuflash23 » January 29th, 2013, 1:58 am

Ok so I need some opinions. This is my first big vehicle project and I dont know a whole helluva lot about suspensions, but on mine the guy had put the suspension over the axle so I shouldn't have to replace any of the leaf springs, but he did torch off the lower shock brackets and he moved them up a bit so that he would have clearance with the lift. My question is that If I get shocks to take me back down to stock height, could I still use the mounts where he has them or would I have to get a new set of lower shock mounts and put them back where they originally were? ( I know what the CORRECT answer is, my question is would I really hurt the jeep by letting them where they are)

Any Advice would help...Thanks in advance y'all.

BTW Shipping is absolutely aweful to come up here. $103 for 4 shocks...Id rather get them sent home to PA for free and have my family ship them up here for like $30-$40...

ImperialTrooper
Site Administrator

Post by ImperialTrooper » January 29th, 2013, 2:52 am

I kind of feel your pain, even when I used to live in Hawaii, shipping was horrendous.

PaulRevere1991
Completed JP Jeep

Post by PaulRevere1991 » January 29th, 2013, 12:31 pm

your probably better off replacing the shock mounts. and you might want to replace the leaf's, they are 17 years old

sfuflash23

Post by sfuflash23 » February 10th, 2013, 4:45 pm

Hey all, sorry but duty called so I was gone for a few weeks. Back to ripping the jeep apart. Ive got a lot done so im gonna separate the posts so that they follow the individual days I worked on the jeep.
Attachments
got those awful tail light guards off too. Just gonna try and fill in the holes the same way that Im going to where the ammo cans were. Any other thought of how to fill in the wholes?<br /><br />For now thats all. Ill have more pics up this afternoon of what I did on the 3rd day
got those awful tail light guards off too. Just gonna try and fill in the holes the same way that Im going to where the ammo cans were. Any other thought of how to fill in the wholes?

For now thats all. Ill have more pics up this afternoon of what I did on the 3rd day
Took off those horrid ammo cans he had mounted to the side. Ive got a lot of little wholes now though, but what I think Im gonna do is spot weld the holes to fill them in and then just grind them down
Took off those horrid ammo cans he had mounted to the side. Ive got a lot of little wholes now though, but what I think Im gonna do is spot weld the holes to fill them in and then just grind them down
ended up ripping off the whole fender. It bends inward on the lower part where it meets the fender flare. Got an appointment this monday to see how much it will cost to bend it back to where it needs to be
ended up ripping off the whole fender. It bends inward on the lower part where it meets the fender flare. Got an appointment this monday to see how much it will cost to bend it back to where it needs to be
Broken bolts have been the bain of my existence on this jeep. Most of the bolts came right out with some pb blaster and a quick hit from the torch. others were not so forgiving. Had to drill alot fo them and use the bolt extractor things, and then the ones really in there i had to completely drill out. Just gonna have to put a bolt on the bottom of some of them now since the OEM bolt welded to the body is now to big due to drilling.
Broken bolts have been the bain of my existence on this jeep. Most of the bolts came right out with some pb blaster and a quick hit from the torch. others were not so forgiving. Had to drill alot fo them and use the bolt extractor things, and then the ones really in there i had to completely drill out. Just gonna have to put a bolt on the bottom of some of them now since the OEM bolt welded to the body is now to big due to drilling.
Here is that rear shock mount I told everyone about. Cant believe this, and his weld was awful. What Im gonna try is swap out the front ubolt plates with the rear ones. The front ubolt plates had rods attached that are meant for a shock mount. I measured it out and when I put the leaf springs back under the axle, they will extend out exactly where the old mounts would align, its just they will be about 1&quot; higher. Dont think it will be a large ordeal since I wont be doing any serious off roading with her. If it doesnt work then I will break down and buy shock mounts and weld them on.
Here is that rear shock mount I told everyone about. Cant believe this, and his weld was awful. What Im gonna try is swap out the front ubolt plates with the rear ones. The front ubolt plates had rods attached that are meant for a shock mount. I measured it out and when I put the leaf springs back under the axle, they will extend out exactly where the old mounts would align, its just they will be about 1" higher. Dont think it will be a large ordeal since I wont be doing any serious off roading with her. If it doesnt work then I will break down and buy shock mounts and weld them on.
Cant belive the guy cut holes in the door for speakers
Cant belive the guy cut holes in the door for speakers

PaulRevere1991
Completed JP Jeep

Post by PaulRevere1991 » February 10th, 2013, 10:25 pm

some of those holes where the ammo cans were for the back part of the side steps, looks like you need a new set since they were cut.

sfuflash23

Post by sfuflash23 » February 11th, 2013, 3:04 am

Already taken care of. Kind of upset at myself though...went to the local junk yard and asked for a set, the guy said he didnt have any...so i ordered a set i luckily found on ebay, except shipping was almost $120!!! I got the damn things for $50. After I had already bought them the weather cleared up up here and I went to the Salvage yard again and asked to just go to the parts jeep to look around for myself, low and behold, 2 feet below the slow lay 2 side steps in perfect condition that they guy said I could have for $70...FML!!! O well, at least I know what at the salvage yard now! Im getting my rims as well as the rear tire carrier, Spare tire stop and bumps, and a new windshield frame from there. One of the salvage jeeps even has an A/C unit in it!! Gonna wait till summer and see if its worth the whole days work to try and yank it out.

T-rex23

Post by T-rex23 » February 11th, 2013, 8:42 am

Is this bone yard a pick and pull?

sfuflash23

Post by sfuflash23 » February 12th, 2013, 12:19 am

for some things, but larger things like rims and stuff that they need to lift or move the vehicle for they will do.