It was "In the making" but now "It's made"

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Re: It was "In the making" but now "It's made"

Post by ratrace427 » February 27th, 2013, 10:49 am

I have not had the time to mess with the fog light issue but i got all the green pieces of the interior done yesterday. I was going to do only the door panels but after seeing the color difference i had to do everything. It works out better to do everything but i kinda wanted it to be the exact color. The problem i think is that the guy that mixed the paint said he always uses the flat additive. You can also use medium and high gloss. When i was spraying the door panels i could not tell where i was painting and where i needed to paint. It is that close but when it dried it turned foggy and much lighter in color. I like the flat look but i think it needs to be at least a medium gloss paint. I didnt want to spend another $30 dollars and the time to drive back to the Oriellys to have another can filled. This only coast me about $40 for both the adhesion promoter and the green so i think this is the best way to do this project, but use at least the medium gloss.

You can see in the two photos how close they are but look at the green border around the pockets. The door panel had that same look to it before i changed the color. Now the pocket border is darker than the panel very slightly. I think the panels match the seats better than before and the panels are a solid color so.. win..win
Attachments
IMG_1703.JPG
IMG_1702.JPG
IMG_1701.JPG
I am John Sisemore on Facebook

DrewSmith007
Site Moderator
Vehicle Make/Model: 1993 Ford Explorer

Post by DrewSmith007 » February 27th, 2013, 3:14 pm

Looks great. I'm thinking of doing the same thing with the explorer.

DrewSmith007
Site Moderator
Vehicle Make/Model: 1993 Ford Explorer

Post by DrewSmith007 » April 11th, 2013, 10:47 pm

A friend of mine saw your jeep and posted it on facebook today.

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » April 12th, 2013, 9:30 am

That is awesome. There was a gal on the highway holding up traffic yesterday as she went past then rolled her window down and then let me pass her. I need to look on youtube for video now.

JPPH10

Post by JPPH10 » April 26th, 2013, 3:46 pm

Have you thought of putting some Armorall on those door panels to bring back the gloss look? might work.

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » April 26th, 2013, 8:14 pm

Yeah i tried that. Maybe with several applications it will gloss up. One application didnt do it.

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » May 2nd, 2013, 3:56 pm

I am thinking about doing a front speaker replacement. They factory ones sound great but you can see the ugly brown paper cone. Instead of playing in the 40 degree weather and in the rain i thought i would ask you guys on how hard it is to R and R the front speakers? I havent looked at 4x6 speakers yet but maybe some red ones would look cool. They are 4x6? Right?

ImperialTrooper
Site Administrator

Post by ImperialTrooper » May 2nd, 2013, 9:08 pm

If you have A/C, it's a bitch and a half to replace them. If you don't have A/C, it should be pretty easy.

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » May 6th, 2013, 8:10 pm

Last week it was nice and warm and my arm stuck to and removed the paint off the top of the door panel. :o WTF... figures.. So now my plan is to use this sprayer to touch up the top of the panel with it still in the jeep. The can with the paint has lost its propellant but the paint is still sloshing around. I lightly sanded the affected area tonight and it only seems to be loose on the top edge, and only in that one area. I have several theories on why this happened but none are a for sure. I am not going to use the adhesion promoter this time because i dont want it on top of the good paint and i hope that when i spray the new paint it will match and not leave a line of new and old area. Worst case scenario i will have to do the whole panel over again. I think if that is the case then i will go get new paint mixed with the medium gloss additive and do both panels.
Attachments
IMG_1827[1].JPG
IMG_1826[1].JPG

COBrian
Completed JP Jeep

Post by COBrian » May 6th, 2013, 8:57 pm

UGH I think you just convinced me not to try painting my panels ;)

As a side note: My first car was an 81 camaro. sweet car, but the interior panels had issues.. they dried out and the plastic was starting to flake, and of course change color. I sanded them down lightly to get off any remaining loose stuff, and simply used Krylon standard spray paint on them. It lasted wonderfully, and I never had any issues with it coming off. This was in 91ish, so paints have changed in the last 20 years, but still....
1993 Sahara - JP29 - Denver, CO