Matt's SoCal JP Jeep #18 Build

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
MErjavac
Completed JP Jeep

Matt's SoCal JP Jeep #18 Build

Post by MErjavac » September 12th, 2012, 1:25 am

Hey guys so I am finally starting to post my build. I've been collecting parts slowly and working toward getting everything I need to make this happen. My starter Jeep is a 1992 Wrangler Renegade, which means I have my work cut out for me changing the body over to look like a 1992 Sahara.

As of right this moment I currently have the complete set of Sahara seats, fender flares, the running boards, half doors, 102" whip antenna, JP graphics, wheels 4/5, ball mount for the whip antenna, front bumper and rear bumper. None of that is currently on the Jeep at the moment.

I am still working on getting 1 more wheel. I had one ordered but the shipper sent me the wrong wheel. Should have that sorted out shortly. I still need the winch, fog lights, light bar which I am putting lights on even though the film version didn't have them on Jeep #18, spice roll bar wraps, green carpet, soft top hardware, the soft top in spice, spare tire stopper, rear amber lights and a few other little things like the CB radio and such.

My current goal is to set up my garage to paint the whole Jeep pretty soon here. I am in the middle of doing that at the moment. This is the last week I am driving the Jeep and should have it garage and being worked on as of this weekend. The plan is to do a complete motor rebuild while in the process of painting so the engine bay matches the rest of the Jeep.

Since I do have the Renegade body it will take some time stripping that down and prepping it. I've already had it off once before just to see what I was dealing with and if it was even worth trying to change it to look like a Sahara. It turn out under all the Renegade parts is a normal Jeep. It even has the embossed Jeep logo near the front fender. The only thing that is sort of a big deal is there is a small rectangular cut out on the front of the fender for the fogs. I am still trying to decide whether it is easier to simply replace the front fender or have a piece welded in to fill those gaps and have them sanded. I will figure that issue out once I am ready to start prepping for paint. Any ways so that is where I am at. I look forward to hearing from you guys and continuing to post my process as it comes along. Wish me luck guys! Thanks :)

1992 Jurassic Park #18 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4.0 high output I6 4x4
1996 Deep Jewel Green Toyota Supra Turbo & 6-Speed
2005 Subaru Impreza WRX (Daily Driver)

Boomerjinks
Completed JP Jeep

Re: Matt's SoCal JP Jeep #18 Build

Post by Boomerjinks » September 12th, 2012, 8:49 am

One less Renegade on the road is fine with me!! :lol:

Looks like you've got everything staged and good to go, this is going to be fun to watch!

Are those 8-bit decals? The colors they pic for the side number are always so, so, so wrong.

COBrian
Completed JP Jeep

Post by COBrian » September 12th, 2012, 10:23 am

Nice work. So the stock fenders stop way above the bumber, so those holes you are considering filling wouldn't even be there on stock fenders. I'm not sure how those fenders will look with a stock bumper, since they are designed for only the renegade bumper.... considering everything else you are doing... correct fenders may not be that much more work... your choice of course.

What dremel bit did you use on those wheels? They look awesome!

What paint are you using? IE did you use touch up cans or a spray gun and paint, etc..
1993 Sahara - JP29 - Denver, CO

WRXFlyer
Completed JP Jeep

Post by WRXFlyer » September 12th, 2012, 11:45 am

Good lookin' seats! ;)

Have a great build!

MErjavac
Completed JP Jeep

Post by MErjavac » September 12th, 2012, 5:57 pm

Thanks for all the support guys!

Here is the wheels with clear coat on them. I cannot wait to get tires on these!

Boomerjinks wrote:One less Renegade on the road is fine with me!! :lol:

Looks like you've got everything staged and good to go, this is going to be fun to watch!

Are those 8-bit decals? The colors they pic for the side number are always so, so, so wrong.
I know right haha. I can't stand the look of the wide body. At the time when I was Jeep shopping for me it came down to 2 Jeeps. One was a 1990 4 cylinder, white, with half doors and the correct body. It had no power steering and no A/C. It was also pretty beat up beyond that with a terribly high lift. Then there was the Renegade I got which is the straight 6, has A/C and power steering. So I decided since I planned on doing all the body work any way it wasn't a big deal to rip on the wide body off and start do the Sahara conversion to the Renegade.

Yeah they are and I don't care for the fact that they are in layers for the JP crest. IO am considering have the crests remade locally at place that can do it for me reasonably. I noticed with the side numbers they are a very dark charcoal color. I'll probably use them to make a stencil and just paint the numbers on instead of trying to just a vinyl.
COBrian wrote:Nice work. So the stock fenders stop way above the bumber, so those holes you are considering filling wouldn't even be there on stock fenders. I'm not sure how those fenders will look with a stock bumper, since they are designed for only the renegade bumper.... considering everything else you are doing... correct fenders may not be that much more work... your choice of course.

What dremel bit did you use on those wheels? They look awesome!

What paint are you using? IE did you use touch up cans or a spray gun and paint, etc..
The main holes are cut out for the Renegade's fog lights. I'll post pics once it is all taken off again. I think getting new fenders is probably the best way to go.

I used a brass wire brush so that it would polish nice without digging deep into the aluminum wheels. After that I did sanding and wet sanding to get the finish. For the wheels I went cans. The wheels will be the only spray canned part on the car. I have my air compressor and spray guns for doing the body.

The specific paint I used for the wheels is Dupli-Color Scratch Filler Primer. For the red I used an OEM Chrysler color called Flame Red paint code PR4. That will be the same red I used for the mirrors and body as well. Then lastly I used Dupli-Color High Performance Wheel Clear Coating. It is meant to be resistant to brake dust, heat, cleaning solvents and chipping. My original plan was to powder coat the wheels but I ultimately decided it would be a better idea to paint given that I plan to go off-roading. Any chips or scratches are hard to fix on powder coat without redoing everything as opposed to paint which I can touch up easier.

WRXFlyer wrote:Good lookin' seats! ;)

Have a great build!
Oh yeah! You helped made my search for those so much easier! I am actually have the back pockets remade by a local place that did my Supra's seats. I'll get pics of those when they are done.

Thanks for all your support!

MrScorpio

Post by MrScorpio » September 12th, 2012, 6:12 pm

MErjavac wrote:
Boomerjinks wrote:One less Renegade on the road is fine with me!! :lol:

Yeah they are and I don't care for the fact that they are in layers for the JP crest. IO am considering have the crests remade locally at place that can do it for me reasonably. I noticed with the side numbers they are a very dark charcoal color. I'll probably use them to make a stencil and just paint the numbers on instead of trying to just a vinyl.
My paint guy used my grey side numbers as a stencil. He stuck them to the side of the Jeep, painted the red on and then just peeled them off.

A while back I messaged the guy who sells these: Jurassic Park vinyl decal He messaged me back and said:
keithld50 wrote:Hi Tim,
Sure, I have done alot of sets before in the 16-20" sizes for Jeeps, etc and they look great at that size.

They are $16 each for that size, if you want to get a set let me know. Thanks,

Keith
I haven't ordered one of his decals yet to see what the quality is like but it might be an affordable alternative.
1993 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
JP #21

Oklahoma State Dinosaur: Saurophaganax which can be seen in Oklahoma at The Sam Noble Museum

Boomerjinks
Completed JP Jeep

Post by Boomerjinks » September 12th, 2012, 9:01 pm

Supposedly he is using the vector number files that I designed, which is irritating but, whatever.

I just hate going on flickr or twitter and seeing a great champagne-color Jeep with dark silver side numbers, ugh.

MErjavac
Completed JP Jeep

Post by MErjavac » September 30th, 2012, 7:18 pm

Quick weekend update.

Here is what it looks like under the Renegade wide body. You'll see the cut out in the front for the fogs and the little cut on the side that makes a gap between the fender and the flare. I've decided to get new fenders.

ImperialTrooper
Site Administrator

Post by ImperialTrooper » September 30th, 2012, 7:54 pm

Can't wait to see this finished so I have an extra excuse to come down to California. :D

COBrian
Completed JP Jeep

Post by COBrian » October 1st, 2012, 8:58 am

Keep up the good work. Yeah I think you are better off replacing those fenders than trying to deal with those holes..
1993 Sahara - JP29 - Denver, CO