Colorado JP #29

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
sfuflash23

Re: Colorado JP #29

Post by sfuflash23 » February 1st, 2016, 11:44 pm

How did you remove the stencils on the stripes without smearing the plasti dip? I plan on doing the same thing until I can afford a paint job. I was thinking of gluing a button or something need one of the edges so I can pull it to lift up the edge of the stencil without disturbing the dip....
Does someone go out in the park and pull up the dinosaurs skirts?

COBrian
Completed JP Jeep

Re: Colorado JP #29

Post by COBrian » March 10th, 2016, 4:05 pm

I wish I had photos how I did it.... I used thumbtacks stuck through the stencil so the flat side was against the jeep (pointy side out). Then AS SOON as I finished the last coat I grabbed the thumbtack points and peeled them off. Being of course careful, but also quick enough that the plastidip wasn't set yet. It was delicate and it isn't perfect, but from 5 feet away you cant see the blemishes... Oh and if you do end up with red bleed/overspray/whatever in the number, you can clean it up with a qtip and I believe rubbing alcohol. Just clean it up before it sets too long.

On other notes it will be 3 years next month when I did plastidip... NOW my jeep sits in a garage over the winter, but it does go out a bunch in summers. My hood plastidip is fading. sun heat whatever... the sides and wheels still seem is pretty good shape. So anyone doing plastidip should realize its lifespan.
1993 Sahara - JP29 - Denver, CO