In the making

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Re: In the making

Post by ratrace427 » May 15th, 2012, 2:50 pm

Plastic media blasting is using little plastic balls. Thats kinda funny to say as well.

Also i was wanting to wire up a kill switch but i need a wiring diagram so i know what wires do what under the dash. Where could i score this diagram?
I am John Sisemore on Facebook

weapon lxxxi

Post by weapon lxxxi » May 15th, 2012, 4:44 pm

Ah right thanks, I might see if a local does it around my way they look well preped for painting, are you going to do it or are you going to get them powder coated?

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » May 15th, 2012, 6:43 pm

Powder coating would be the best but i am worried about the color matching the stripes. The painter said he could put lots of hardener and several coats of paint and that would be fine. I agree with him so i am going that route.

Boomerjinks
Completed JP Jeep

Post by Boomerjinks » May 15th, 2012, 10:58 pm

Powder coating is effecting, but REALLY expensive and you'll still have to deep-clean brake dust out of your wheels. I was dead-set on powdercoating my wheels, but the cost/risk didn't seem to add up. Eventually I just cleaned and scuffed the original red and hit each wheel with a can of red paint that was slightly brighter than the stripes, and my wheels have looked brand-new for the last year.

viewtopic.php?p=4561#p4561

They still looked great and I saved a few hundred dollars!

ImperialTrooper
Site Administrator

Post by ImperialTrooper » May 16th, 2012, 4:46 am

My wheels are powdercoated. Though like Boomer said, it is definitely more expensive, and color matching may be a bit hard.

I don't regret it, but I wonder if I shouldn't have just saved that money and bought equipment to paint the jeep.

weapon lxxxi

Post by weapon lxxxi » May 16th, 2012, 7:10 am

Ah this interesting, so u guys that have painted them have u ever had to touch them up? A friend of mine had her wheels powder coated recently she was speaking about my jeep to them n they would do all 4 for around $510 ish. But I've sprayed wheels b4 on my old cars n it's lasted fairly long with smaller tyres. I've got red heat proof paint I may try that.

AJ Quick
Site Moderator

Post by AJ Quick » May 26th, 2012, 9:23 pm

$510 is pretty crazy.

If you could find someone to completely sandblast your wheels, Powdercoating should only be $100 or so. Heck. Find an old oven, buy a powder coat gun and the powder and that should be under $100!
1971 Volkwagen Beetle - 1993 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 1998 Dodge Neon R/T
http://www.GBFans.com/ - http://www.JurassicJeep.com/

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » May 26th, 2012, 11:34 pm

I got a rear fog light in today. Yes just one. I dont know why they sell them in singles but they do. The picture showed several lights and covers but i need to order another one. For $50 a piece KC lights better be worth it. The one i got looks great and seems to be of very good quality so i think i am doing ok paying for these. I also made this awesome tag today. I would have to say i did a dang good job. I just need to trim a little plastic off the top and add a chain for the rear view. I think i will rob the chain from the ceiling fan.

The wife will never know =)

I have yet to make my mind up on how to wire and mount the rear fog lights. I have been thinking about it for hours. I think i will drill a hole in the body of the jeep for the mount. Im not sure what gauge of wire to use so i might use a solenoid under the hood and run a large singe wire back. I am open for suggestions on this.
Attachments
IMG_1362.JPG

Railtech
Completed JP Jeep

Post by Railtech » May 27th, 2012, 8:33 am

ratrace427 wrote: I have yet to make my mind up on how to wire and mount the rear fog lights. I have been thinking about it for hours. I think i will drill a hole in the body of the jeep for the mount. Im not sure what gauge of wire to use so i might use a solenoid under the hood and run a large singe wire back. I am open for suggestions on this.
I did just that, kept a relay under the hood triggered by the switch on the dash and ran a larger Gauge to the rear and crossed it over under the body in the rear. The wires I ran thru the taillight into the OEM holes. I used switched power for the switch, I think I used an unused slot in the fusebox. That way if the key is off the rear lights can't stay on.

I drilled thru the top of my taillight to mount. There is a metal plate in the top part which makes it very secure. I pulled the taillights off to drill and mount.
93 YJ Sahara/JP29 WIP

weapon lxxxi

Post by weapon lxxxi » May 27th, 2012, 12:43 pm

AJ Quick wrote:$510 is pretty crazy.

If you could find someone to completely sandblast your wheels, Powdercoating should only be $100 or so. Heck. Find an old oven, buy a powder coat gun and the powder and that should be under $100!

Ha Haa cheers ratace427 i may conside that ;)

----------------------------------------------

good luck on mounting you lights im looking into doing mine soon be interesting to see how you do it... :D