Jurassic Park - Raptor Transport Trailer...New Project!

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Raptor
Completed JP Jeep

Jurassic Park - Raptor Transport Trailer...New Project!

Post by Raptor » April 5th, 2012, 7:50 pm

I was thinking about what to do with all the leftover parts from my recent frame off restoration on my JP18 wrangler. As you have seen in my build thread, I performed a complete frame/chassis swap on my jeep. The frame that I was left with is only really damaged in one spot (driver’s side front). The rest of the frame is solid with only minor surface rust.

I have decided to build a Jurassic Park themed Wrangler trailer to tow behind my jeep when I go to shows, camping, etc. I already have pretty much every part I need to build this, so I figured why not. I picked up this tub for $100 locally and it is perfect for a trailer. It also just happened to fit perfectly in the back of my friend’s V10 Ram 2500…

As it sits today, the tub is just resting on the old frame (not mounted down yet). The tub is pretty much rust free and the floors are already rhino-lined. I plan to strip down and POR15 the old frame before actually bolting the tub down. The frame will be cut just behind the upper shock towers in the front. I will weld in the new rails for the tow section.

I picked up a tailgate, tail lamps, and license plate bracket for it for $20. I bolted the tailgate on, but won’t be installing the rest of it until after I paint it. I plan to keep the diamond plate and stainless steel hinges on the back, I think it gives it a rugged look for a trailer.

As I mentioned before I’m building this completely out of extra parts that I have from my build. I haven’t finished the renderings for my paint job yet, but I plan to keep it with the Jurassic Park Jeep theme. Suggestions for the paint job and numbering system are welcome. I have a set of full doors, an extra brand new bestop softop and frame, 5 extra aluminum jeep rims (not shown in the picture), etc. I also have a hardtop if I ever wanted to put that on. Pretty much everything I would need for a cool looking trailer.

The goal is to build something styled similar to this. You have to go to the link to see it as the image is copyrighted so I can’t post it here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/geepstir/5924730640/

Let me know what you all think and if you have suggestions for my trailer build. I am also debating the location of the front stripe (as there aren’t going to be fenders) as well as I cannot decide how to number the trailer…
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - JP-18 - Chicago, IL
Frame off restoration completed 2/2012

MrScorpio

Re: Jurassic Park - Raptor Transport Trailer...New Project!

Post by MrScorpio » April 5th, 2012, 9:23 pm

I thought it would be cool to have a Jeep trailer but I was thinking more along the lines of the trailers they make from truck beds. It would be smaller but it's not like I really need a trailer either. Maybe just paint a stripe to match the one on the back of the Jeep? Not sure about numbering it but I'd probably go with a "T" prefix (T6 for example).

I found this after poking around on Google for a while.

Jeep Trailer Build (Found the pic here)
1993 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
JP #21

Oklahoma State Dinosaur: Saurophaganax which can be seen in Oklahoma at The Sam Noble Museum

weapon lxxxi

Post by weapon lxxxi » April 6th, 2012, 10:41 am

Once mine is done I was going to make a trailer for camping etc. but I was just going to go along the lines of converting a regular trailer. My idea was to sortof box it in looking like a crate. Put vent holes in the top & spay an ingen logo & "live animal transport" on it :) if I ever did a parade I'd attempt to make something to go inside that moves the trailer & a speaker system shooting out dino noises every now n then.
That's the plan.

CYPH3R code101

Post by CYPH3R code101 » April 6th, 2012, 9:59 pm

I Love this idea! I have always loves the truck bed trailers myself and think its a great idea to make a mini jeep trailer. I Also like the idea from weapon where you can make a live animal transport trailer. If money were no object or i just had any to begin with a trailer resembling the crate they transport the raptors in during the opening sequence of Jurassic park would be Wicked!
00 Chevy Blazer 2dr
86 Chevy suburban
86 Chevy K5 Blazer (wrecked)

DrewSmith007
Site Moderator
Vehicle Make/Model: 1993 Ford Explorer

Post by DrewSmith007 » April 6th, 2012, 10:28 pm

CYPH3R code101 wrote:... If money were no object or i just had any to begin with a trailer resembling the crate they transport the raptors in during the opening sequence of Jurassic park would be Wicked!
This is what I thought of when I read the thread title. Would make a sweet dog kennel or some sort of trailer. Maybe make it look like the crate and trailer are separate...

Raptor
Completed JP Jeep

Post by Raptor » April 6th, 2012, 11:46 pm

As for the raptor transport part of it, I am actually building a replica of the crate that is shown at the start of the film. Mine is a scaled version and I plan to be able to slide it out the back of the jeep on a roller system. The method of lowering and lifting it is a custom desing I am working on that is similar to the way a strecher is lifted in and out of an ambulance. This would allow for one person to load and unload the crate without any issues. I'm making it just small enough that I will be able to have it in the trailer even if I have the hard or soft top on.

I'm still working on the design for the internal components for the crate, but as of right now here are the ideas I have for it. I plan to have it shake/vibrate. It will play different dino sound effects (activated by a motion sensor). The power will be supplied by a deep cycle battery that is charged via a solar panel built into the top of the crate. I'm also thinking of having a fog machine of some sorts inside so that it could pour out fog through all the gaps.

The crate itself is more of a longterm project than the trailer. I hope to have the trailer done early summer and the crate done within a year. The crate is actually going to be more expensive than the trailer itself (mainly because I already have all the major components of the trailer).
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - JP-18 - Chicago, IL
Frame off restoration completed 2/2012

Railtech
Completed JP Jeep

Post by Railtech » April 8th, 2012, 11:40 am

That looks like a fun project. I helped a friend fab one out of a salvage TJ rear not too long ago. We used an old utility trailer chassis and cannibalized that and the axle we sourced thru Northern Tool it was the same bolt pattern and accepted TJ wheels.

I thought of something like that myself, but I was thing basing on a M416 or Bantam T3-C. I used to redo those military trailers and they track perfectly behind a Jeep. I was thinking painting something along the lines of the Pargo trailer in the reference section.
93 YJ Sahara/JP29 WIP

raptorwrangler
Completed JP Jeep

Post by raptorwrangler » September 21st, 2012, 2:29 pm

I was browsing Youtube, and came across this. I'm not sure if it's been posted on here before, but this would be absolutely amazing if you drove in parades. I don't think it would be incredibly difficult, share no expense.

http://youtu.be/JHKLfm-AmZ0
-1995 Jeep Wrangler S................./‾‾‾‾\ □□□□
-2.5L 123hp............................../|‾‾|‾‾,[____],__
-Completed Conversion..............|!\\.|@|\-\--¬[llllll]-
...............................................-(o)------(o)--°-----)°-

COBrian
Completed JP Jeep

Post by COBrian » September 21st, 2012, 2:40 pm

That's Awesome. I totally was considering a trailer to help when I go camping... That one would be way lighter than pulling a partial jeep.
1993 Sahara - JP29 - Denver, CO