JP18 - Chicago - Frame off restoration - "Spared No Expense"

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Boomerjinks
Completed JP Jeep

Re: JP18 - Chicago - Frame off restoration - "Spared No Expense"

Post by Boomerjinks » April 5th, 2012, 8:54 pm

cpltony wrote:
Fresh off the boat on Isla Nublar is where this thing is at!!
Off-topic a bit, but if you look closely at the scene when the Jeeps back up to the helicopter, you can totally see that the key holes on the doors are scratched to hell. InGen employees must fumble a lot!

Raptor
Completed JP Jeep

Post by Raptor » April 6th, 2012, 11:52 pm

Boomerjinks wrote:
cpltony wrote:
Fresh off the boat on Isla Nublar is where this thing is at!!
Off-topic a bit, but if you look closely at the scene when the Jeeps back up to the helicopter, you can totally see that the key holes on the doors are scratched to hell. InGen employees must fumble a lot!
Yeah that and the passenger side decal is actually slightly damaged when they show the close up of the door opening at the landing pad. Another thing that always bothered me is that the frame looks like it was coated with surface rust. I am wondering if they stripped some of the paint off when they added the brackets on underneath for what I am assuming was either a tow mechanism or camera hook up for filming. You can see it clearly in the shot of the 18 with the dino in the background.

On another note...I took a few more photos tonight! Check out the new front plate! You can buy this plate from djtbell1 as seen in the general discussion thread.

1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - JP-18 - Chicago, IL
Frame off restoration completed 2/2012

ImperialTrooper
Site Administrator

Post by ImperialTrooper » April 7th, 2012, 12:33 am

Very nice. What is the brand of that winch plate?

Raptor
Completed JP Jeep

Post by Raptor » April 7th, 2012, 1:03 am

ImperialTrooper wrote:Very nice. What is the brand of that winch plate?
Actually I bought the winch plate on craigslist for $20. It was brand new and never installed on any vehicle as far as I could tell. There are no numbers or markings on it, but I searched quadratec, 4wd, and other retailers and have it narrowed down to either Rugged Ridge or Rough Country. They both seem to be the same design. I fabricated the brackets that go under the plate so that the plate sits level rather than on a slant. I also decided to keep the factory tow hooks as I like the look of them.

I'm still looking for a winch. I might just buy the Smittybilt XRC-8 winch as I have heard good reviews and it is only $300. If I get that one I would remove the solenoid from above the cable and remote mount it under the hood of the jeep. That way it would look like the Ramsey one (other than the decals) and the solenoid would be protected better if it was under the hood.

Railtech
Completed JP Jeep

Post by Railtech » April 8th, 2012, 11:36 am

That's a beautiful example of #18. Nicely done! Great attention to detail!
93 YJ Sahara/JP29 WIP

Raptor
Completed JP Jeep

Post by Raptor » April 5th, 2013, 9:40 am

One year ago I finally posted up pictures of my completed JP 18. Today, I still have the jeep and just took it out of winter storage 2 days ago (didn't want to trash it with the road salt in IL). Over the past year I have taken it to several shows, had it displayed at a movie theater last summer, photographed it with the weiner wagon, photographed it with the world's largest potatoe (seriously), and driven every dog in the neighborhood crazy with the dinosaur sounds. I have put 5000 miles on it now, which doesn't seem like a lot but it has been fun. Once my other projects are finished, I may build another.

Here is one interesting picture I have taken along the way. The only problem I have had so far, as seen in this picture, is I lost the front plastic bumper extension on the driver's side but I repaired it right away.