Jeep Comanche- Park maintenance build

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
RustyRodder

Re: Jeep Comanche- Park maintenance build

Post by RustyRodder » July 13th, 2018, 10:16 pm

Moving the aux switches for the lights from the dash to the console.

switch 1 went well. Switch 2 is blank until the Jabscos go on (master power switch). Switch 3... I wired wrong, i think. Insulation immediately melted, wires went lava and melted the console, part of my seat, and burns all over the floor.

ordered a new switch since the old one is melted.
JP25- Jurassic Park Maintenance, 1988 Jeep Comanche
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2680

Chase65

Post by Chase65 » July 15th, 2018, 4:12 pm

Oh man thats crazy! Glad you didn't lose the whole truck!
1993 YJ Sahara
1994 Explorer Limited
2004 Mercedes ML350

RustyRodder

Post by RustyRodder » August 17th, 2018, 6:49 pm

Update time!

Spent 2 weeks in Utah, and did some Jeeping there. I want 4wd now. More on that thought shortly.

I started modding the rollbar for the Jabscos.

I had to hand make each mounting plate, so they dont quite match- but they are close!

Mounted up, they look nice

but my truck is tiny next to the new F150

I also reshot the rollbar from flat black to a satin finish. and used the lift to see how a 2" lift would look

Took it out into the field for a shot with the bar permanently mounted, lights mounted, wires ran through the frame. Not hooked up yet- need to extend the wires a bit, and give them power. Notice that the field slopes down? Notice the rain clouds? My truck is not 4wd. it does not have aggressive tires. I could not get traction without any weight in the bed. So I had to go into the house to get Dad to drive while I pushed.

Do you know how much mud can fit in there?

A LOT. And I really need to get 4wd installed here.
Last edited by RustyRodder on August 18th, 2018, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jp41
Vehicle Make/Model: Jurassic Jeep 41

Post by jp41 » August 17th, 2018, 9:39 pm

love the build!

Chase65

Post by Chase65 » August 20th, 2018, 11:31 pm

I really like it with the roll bar and lights, looks really good!
1993 YJ Sahara
1994 Explorer Limited
2004 Mercedes ML350

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » August 21st, 2018, 5:11 am

are you planing to buy another comanche to rape and pillage the 4wd parts, or is it just a thought? Its kinda like a seed, it has been planted so lets see if it grows.
I am John Sisemore on Facebook

RustyRodder

Post by RustyRodder » August 21st, 2018, 9:03 pm

ratrace427 wrote:are you planing to buy another comanche to rape and pillage the 4wd parts, or is it just a thought? Its kinda like a seed, it has been planted so lets see if it grows.
Well, part of me wants to LS-swap this. The other part wants a 4x4.

Called up a semi-local guy who parts out Comanches; I'll be picking up all the 4wd stuff from him when he gets time to pull it. Since the front axle has to be swapped, a 2-inch lift will be going on as well. The swap isnt really that bad- front axle, transmission/transfer case, and the shift linkage. Expensive part will be replacing all the rubber up front (kind of annoyed since I replaced all the front brakes, which are not reused). All this from getting stuck in my dads yard! Also upgrading to a dual-diaphragm brake booster once I get the lines from a pick-a-part.

Other to-do's are stripping the interior to seal the floors, sound deadener, and fresh carpet.

In other news, some new pictures!

6 wires per light- had to do this twice on each side. Took a while. For some reason, the passenger side turns on with the remote, but will only turn off with the master switch. Odd.

I like how the console came out. Changed the CB again.

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » August 22nd, 2018, 5:05 am

RustyRodder wrote:Well, part of me wants to LS-swap this. The other part wants a 4x4.
Dont you mean hemi 5.7 swap? Or maybe the new 6.4 that they have started selling as a crate? 540 hp in that little truck.. LOL maybe i wouldnt do that. stick with a cheap salvage yard 5.7.

You would be following Carroll Shelbys recipe book from 1989. Take a full size truck engine and stick it in the smallest truck you have to work with. 8-)

RustyRodder

Post by RustyRodder » August 22nd, 2018, 7:38 pm

Hemi wont fit under the hood, sadly. LS is generally the simplest, but sticking with 4wd complicates things majorly.

99% chance the 4.0 is here to stay. Mustang needs more power, and its nice to have 1 stock, can use the factory manual to fix it vehicle!

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Jeep Comanche- Park maintenance build

Post by ratrace427 » August 23rd, 2018, 6:47 am

RustyRodder wrote:Hemi wont fit under the hood, sadly. LS is generally the simplest, but sticking with 4wd complicates things majorly.

99% chance the 4.0 is here to stay. Mustang needs more power, and its nice to have 1 stock, can use the factory manual to fix it vehicle!
are you sure? interesting I will do some research on long block dimensions. I see lots of those 5.7 swaps in mopars and they seem as small as the LS platform. Well I assume they are the 5.7s that are piling up in breaker yards. it's interesting that you hear about LS swaps and how they make stand alone electrical to drop it right in but not so much on the Mopar or Ford equivalent. the big three all have the same options that can be done with the same amount of effort.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk