JP12 Build - Middle Georgia

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Valvany

Re: JP12 Build - Middle Georgia

Post by Valvany » February 24th, 2017, 11:43 am

You don't need to use a primer on the base color to paint the red color. The base color (sand beige/champagne) will act as a primer,you just have to slightly sand it with 600 grid sandpaper (only where you want to paint the red color,and if there is already a clearcoat on your base color,if not,no need for sanding)

Mark Brody

Post by Mark Brody » February 24th, 2017, 10:02 pm

That's good to know, thanks! I'm afraid I'm still gonna have to search for a better paint company, though. I love the Ford Performance Red color, but this picture shows more clearly how rough the pint comes out compared to Rustoleum, which despite being a higher quality paint, is not quite the right color.

Last edited by Mark Brody on August 19th, 2017, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Espo78

Post by Espo78 » February 27th, 2017, 11:41 am

Once it's on the Jeep no one will care as long as its red. It won't be next to other samples to compare it to. Go with the better finish. I can barely tell a difference in those colors anyway.

RustyRodder

Post by RustyRodder » February 27th, 2017, 1:05 pm

Why not have a shop shoot the stripes? Cant be that much for just the red to be done
JP25- Jurassic Park Maintenance, 1988 Jeep Comanche
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2680

Mark Brody

Post by Mark Brody » February 28th, 2017, 9:47 am

Hmm, I'm very particular (as most are) about proper placement of stripes and numbers. I wonder if I could mask it off and have a shop paint it - and how much it would cost.

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » March 17th, 2017, 5:37 am

I spent $500 for stripes but like you said only you can make them right. Looks like your paint orange peeled. That is because you didnt have the paint thin enough for the gun/pressure setup. Try thinning it out more but you can always sand that out as well. That would be a lot of sanding though :cry:

you can learn anything on youtube
I am John Sisemore on Facebook

Mark Brody

Post by Mark Brody » March 17th, 2017, 2:17 pm

Isn't orange peel an effect of the clear coat? The Rustoleum in the square next to it used the same clear coat.

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » March 18th, 2017, 6:54 am

orange peel is a term used to describe paint that is applied to thick. You can apply either paint or clear to thick. Both can appear to be like a orange in surface roughness. With clear being on top you can sand it out but with the red being ruff on the bottom and the clear being smooth you will have to start over. =(

Isnt learning fun =P Painting has a learning curve that not many take the time to learn. You have the ambition so i think you will get there. Use a razor to remove it

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » March 18th, 2017, 6:58 am

Oh yeah, also you can use a piece of electrical wiring under and around the windshield gasket on the outside to hold it away from the panel. After the paint dries then remove the wire and the rubber sits over the new paint. Having that little paint line on top of the rubber is meh...

Mark Brody

Post by Mark Brody » April 19th, 2017, 12:51 pm

Thanks for the tip on the rubber seal - I was wondering how to do that.

In the meantime, I've knocked out some of the usual Jeep stuff today, not JP specific. The front passengers seat belt didn't work when I bought the Jeep, so I ordered a replacement. I finally got that in today after a 6 week back order. I also got around to fixing my mirrors.

I screwed up my passengers side mirror adjusting the tension screws, so I needed to replace it. I know mirrors are an easy replacement, but I wanted OEM mirrors with the correct arm. I found some on eBay, but the arm was going to need a repaint. It was a bit of a pain, but no more than I expected. The forward facing piece of the mirror was beat up pretty bad. Clearly, this had been on an off-road Jeep, getting shwacked with branches. I filled in the gouges with some bondo. In retrospect, since I'm not going for 100% screen accuracy on this build, it seems a little silly to have obsessed over a little Jeep logo on the side mirrors, but it's done now.

Last edited by Mark Brody on August 19th, 2017, 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.