Northern Kentucky JP12

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
cptcrunch
Completed JP Jeep

Re: Northern Kentucky JP12

Post by cptcrunch » May 31st, 2015, 5:53 pm

Lights!

So after 3d printing the rings and attachments and building the lights, we moved onto installation. I never knew how long it was going to take, mainly due to the wiring, power needs and how to fish 4 very large cables through 1 lightbar, but it wasn't that bad. Took 2 days of installation, maybe 4 hours each day to finish. I know the lightbar would originally take 5 lights, but those would be simple 2 wire lights, nothing like what I had planned to install. The Jabsco SL135 light cables are, uh, large, with 6 wires? 4 to control the X and Y movements, and 2 for power.

And these wires are thick. Moving 4 through the lightbar was definitely tough. The first 2 did fine, third was tricky, and fourth took about 30 minutes. We had to fish the fourth several times and eventually had all 4 through the lightbar and lights mounted.

The holes were not drilled yet to mount the lights, but this gave us our first look at having all 4 installed. The lights required a lot of customization (see previous post) and had a fake wiring from the top to the bottom. Per the IOA photos at Universal Florida, they have wires hanging from the light to the hole in the lightbar, which is why you see "two" light wires.

One of my favorite pictures with the lights installed

Nice rear shot of the Jeep with lights installed, but wiring not completed

With the new fog lights, new rear fog lights and new overhead lights, I was in desperate need of power. Looking online, I found power distribution blocks that looked to fit the bill. One large post and several small posts would allow me to connect all of the new electrical bits in one spot for easy maintenance. I know it doesn't look pretty, but it'll (hopefully) not be seen by anyone

While installing the lights, I had help installing the soft top (post to come). I wanted to mention this as to why you'll see parts of the softtop installed with the lights.

When referencing the movie JP12 and the lights, you have to look hard to see how they were installed. They used the standard lightbar, had a flat piece welded on, fed the 4 wires through the opening and then... where? The movie's answer was to drill a hole in the passenger triangle above the radio antenna. I had drillled a holed 1/2" in diameter before having the Jeep painted and quickly realized it was not large enough after feeding all of the wires through (I hadn't yet purchased the lights while having the Jeep painted).

You can see the wiring for the lights in this movie still

Not really knowing what size I wanted, and not wanting too large of a hole on the side of the Jeep, I purchased a step bit and kept inching it up more and more until I had a hole big enough to fit all of the wires. I think the final hole size was 7/8". While drilling the hole, it made me realize that these 4 wires are a challenge to get them to stay together. I ordered a 1" heat shrink tubing so that I could put all 4 wires into a bundle and clean up the look.

This took a very long time to do. 2 wires would fit fine, 3 was tight, and the 4th took us almost an hour to feed through. It was tough, but the end product is worth it.

I put a bit of a curve to the wire to try and keep water away from the inside of the Jeep. Water is known to run along cables and into the inside of anything, so this drip loop should prevent that.

Along with the 1" heat shrink tubing, I ordered a section of 1" wire loom to complete the installation. This looked the best to me as it'll be seen by a lot of people in comparison to the 5 minutes JP12 was on screen in the movie. The heat shrink tubing was probably ok, but just didn't look great. Here is the final exterior install

Moving to the inside, we quickly noticed a problem. Based on the photos of the movie, the 4 controls were installed where the grab handle is. That seemed like a great idea, but the control box is wired for a horizontal install. So installing these 4 control boxes horizontally wouldn't work in that location. But that location seemed like the best fit for me as the control boxes fit perfectly in the space.

Movie screen cap of the installed control boxes

Before installation of the control boxes, we had to work on getting the wiring from the side of the jeep near the heater core/AC controls to the glove box area. I was a little hesitant at drilling holes into the glove box thinking it was a rare item, but thankfully they are readily available on eBay. I drilled 4 holes (blindly, which is my excuse for how poorly they line up) behind the grab handle to route the cables

I routed all 4 sets of cables through the holes, with the far left matching to the light over the driving side and proceeding down the line to the passenger side of the Jeep.

What we noticed after wiring the first light to test the power distribution block and ground is that, when the control box is mounted vertically, the light does not move in the way that you want. What i mean is, when you move the control stick up, the light moved left, and when moving the control stick left, it moved the light down. Thinking how this could be fixed for our vertical installation, I had the idea to isolate the wires from the light and the direction they referred to. There was no manual to this, so I had a 50/50 shot at guessing what the brown wire did.

What my idea was, if we mount the control box vertically, but each of the controls was moving the light in the counter clockwise control direction, then I could swap the wires clockwise from the light to the control box to fix this. I was right on the money after the swap, and proceeded to mix the wire colors to match the up, left, down, right of the control stick to the movement of the light for our install.

Showing what wire corresponded to what direction when installed horizontally with the power facing to the left

Final wiring after correcting for our vertical installation.

We tested all of the lights for both power, and movement and they all tested good. That night, we turned on all of the lights to see how truly bright the front of this Jeep is

Why? Why is the sun here in Kentucky at 1030PM?!

The rear fogs are very, very bright. No way can I drive around with these on at night.

With the lights installed, we will move onto the soft top, final winch installation (replacing old cable). We are nearing the finish!

Hammond: "I bring scientists; you bring a rock star."

thiccet

Post by thiccet » June 2nd, 2015, 11:54 pm

Holy cow, what a transformation! Amazing work, dude!
Amber // 1995 Jeep Wrangler Sahara : JP Jeep #48

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » June 3rd, 2015, 5:34 am

you can power the rear fogs in series dropping the brightness more than %50. Mine look like amber tail lights and use much less power.
I am John Sisemore on Facebook

weapon lxxxi

Post by weapon lxxxi » June 6th, 2015, 4:51 am

Jack_Fauth wrote:looking good..... keep the updates coming
nice to see another #12 on it's way to the fleet
Jack
Seconded!!

I'm also having the same issue with my gears at the mo, changed the fluid looked a lot like yours it's was fine then I put it 4wheel drive & it has gone back to 2&3 grinding again :(

Mike_P

Post by Mike_P » June 22nd, 2015, 6:41 pm

Wow, that is beautiful.

TK3100

Post by TK3100 » June 26th, 2015, 7:30 pm

Great work and documenting your progress!

cptcrunch
Completed JP Jeep

Post by cptcrunch » July 22nd, 2015, 7:38 pm

As the project was starting to near its completion, the softtop was one of the last big installs to do. After the lights were installed, well I guess actually during the installation, the softtop install was started. I'll be the first to admit that I work in IT and I drive a german sports car, and I know more about Jeeps now than I did in October of 2013, but its still not a lot. So the softtop install took us by surprise. It wasn't complicated, but it took time, careful measurements and a few heads to get everything aligned properly. The only problem: 35 degree outside temperature. It was readily apparent that the soft top cloth was cold, stiff and not wanting to stretch. I can remember how cold it was then, and how the cloth was a challenge to work with in those temperatures when I install the softtop now during the summer.

I purchased one of those 'all of the fire in a tube' in the beginning of winter to help with our installs in the drafty garage, and I'm glad I did. Not only did it help keep us warm, it also helped the cloth stretch enough for the install. I know now, that when the softtop is installed before winter, it stays on the Jeep until Spring. No way am I going to want to remove that and deal with the fear of ripping the top during the winter to drive around a few not-so-chilly days with the top off (I am one that does not mind the cold at all).

We still had the old parts, but were gathering those to sell to a coworker who needed a softtop for their YJ

The softtop that came on the Jeep wasn't in bad shape, but it wasnt the OEM style and had rear tinted windows. In my attempt to make the "perfect replica" a new top was ordered in the OEM style and non rear tinted windows. After some research and a look at the budget, I ordered a Rampage top that was a full replacement, designed to work with Jeep that came originally with a hardtop, at a decent price. There are probably better softtop kits, but this one worked fine and looks the part.

I'm sad to report that we didn't take any pictures of the install. It was time consuming, it was cold and we really wanted to make sure the holes we drilled correctly and in the right spot, parts installed on the newly painted metal didn't scratch the paint and what heat we had was used quickly to install the softtop correctly. With the 102" CB cable installed, we get one of the first looks of the Jeep with the new softtop

Around the same time, we also installed the winch and winch plate. I searched high and low for a Ramsey REP6000 winch in good condition, and finally found one. In Iowa, and I live in Kentucky. I called the guy and convinced him I'm not a scammer and asked him very nicely to ship it. He agreed and I paid via PayPal and we were set. I searched eBay for 9 months with no luck for a REP6000 and was beginning to lose hope. I had called a few people who had REP8000s I found on craigslist in other states and they refused to consider shipping, so I got really lucky that the guy was willing to entertain me.

When I received it I felt really bad for the FedEx guy. And all of the guys in the warehouses who had to deal with this huge box that weighed A LOT. The original Ramsey winch plate is no longer being manufactured, but thats ok because Harbor Freight has designed a near exact copy. Their Badlands universal winch plate was a direct fit for the Jeep and helped hide the cables that you do not see in the movie.

The winch was in good condition and worked, but it wasn't perfect. So I stripped it down to bare metal, painted it with matte black paint, semi-gloss clear coat over a few days and prepped it for install. The one thing that really bothered me about this winch was the cable was original and was dirty. Again, my perfection here did me in. I tried to clean the cable, but no dice. So I wanted to replace it.

We installed the winch and let it be for a few days

But it just got to me. So to eBay for a new cable and clevis hook (I needed one of those anyways, so a new cable was only an extra $40) and we proceeded to spool out 95' of cable. The cable runs inside the winch and is secured by two screws to make sure its nice and tight. Somewhere between the disassembly, cable replacement and reassemble, we broke a something. The winch no longer works after a spark when trying to engage the motor. UGH. Sigh. Etc.

Any attempts to fix the winch was for naught as another disassmbly, reassembly, new solenoids and general yelling at it didn't fix it. We moved the Jeep outside for a few days to give the garage space back to my friend and I decided to wait until spring to spool the wire back on the winch manually

Even with the winch cable ziptied to the front of the Jeep, we still drove it around town a few times. The looks, the honks, the yells and the general curiosity about what we were driving was thrilling. Everywhere we went drew some sort of reaction. As I drove to the local cigar shop to pick up some victory cigars, a few people were protesting some political thing (I dont remember now), yelling at cars to honk to support their cause almost had a heartattack when we drove by. We rounded the corner and when the group saw it, they all dropped their signs and all yelled "MUST GO FASTER" to the top of their lungs. It was great!

I drove the Jeep to my brothers house and parked on his front lawn to talk and see his dog, and within 2 minutes we had several neighbors outside (all males around my age) fawning over the Jeep. We chatted for 20 minutes about the build, how to convert their Jeeps and general Jurassic Park talk before they had to go. The Jeep really brings people together. It was then that I noticed one of the Delta 100 fog light covers was missing. The covers kinda snap in place, but aren't secured by anything. I guess they just fell off driving it around, because they were there when we went to Steak 'n Shake

That takes care of most of the conversion, but some mechanical things need fixing at this point. I'll cover those in my next post

"Don't get cheap on me, Dodgson. That was Hammond's mistake."

cptcrunch
Completed JP Jeep

Post by cptcrunch » July 22nd, 2015, 8:21 pm

So I had posted previously about the Jeep and all of the problems it had, but I have to take it back. I understand what the shop was trying to say and do, but I learned that they wanted to build the Jeep to be an off roader, and not just a concrete driver in their original estimate of the issues with the Jeep. I'm not an off roader and even if I was, I'm not sure I would want to take this particular Jeep off road with all of the mods I've done. That and the insurance company has said I couldn't or they wouldn't cover the Jeep. So theres that.

After thinking about what I was told was wrong with the Jeep, I took the Jeep to a local shop that I'm friends with and had them do a once over. They agreed a few things were wrong (what Jeep doesn't have that) but not as serious as the previous shop had said.

They did a full look over to make sure things are good and here is what they determined: I had a ubolt that was not sized correctly, front sway bar was bad, rear bushings were bad, an alignment was needed, and a rear ujoint. Not nearly the $10K the other shop quoted. I dont fault the other shop at all, and maybe they were just trying to get some money from me, but thats neither here nor there.

The new shop replaced all of the parts and said we are good to go and it drives just fine for a 21 year old YJ. I've been driving it around a lot lately, going to a few different shows, dinosaur events and I it drives just like a YJ should. It creaks, it makes noises and its a blast to drive.

Speaking of shows, my wife is a librarian at the local library and she had a Dinosaur program with the local Museum center so I obviously had to bring the Jeep. I also have a cosplay outfit that I wear when showing off the Jeep that makes me look like one of the drivers in the beginning of the movie (i'm not fat enough to be Nedry).

The kids went absolutely crazy. They were all intrigued by the Jeep, asked a million questions, had their pictures taken with it, and got to "dig" for some dinosaur bones and poop. One of the parents commented that he knew the Jurassic Park look was "an option you could get in the early 90s" and I had to explain to him all of the things I did and that it was not an option. I'm not sure he believed me because "it looks just like the one in the movie I watched last week", but I'll take it.

I'm friends with a few people at the local Museum and they love it whenever I bring it up there. They brought up my Jeep to their Paleontologist and he was speechless. He loves the movies as much as I do and he is super excited to see the Jeep. I'll be bring it up there next week to meet with him, show him the Jeep and get a first hand look at their new dinosaur (!!) for their upcoming science expansion. Unbelievable! I get to touch real life dinosaur bones! I absolutely can. not. wait!

The build has been everything a young 10 year old me wanted 20 years ago. Its been a challenge at times but its been a super fun experience, one that I would do again. I have made lots of friends on here, the Jurassic Park Jeep community, and the Jurassic Park Motor Pool that I wouldn't have met other wise. And I now have a better appreciation for the Jeeps i've seen around that are both stock and modded, and all of the detailed build threads on the Jeep communities. While thinking back to all of the junk yard trips, countless hours on eBay and Jeep forums looking for just the right part, I have a newly found appreciation for those that restore vehicles or build movie replica vehicles. The amount of work, research and time put into these vehicles is not for everyone, but to see just one excited child just staring at the Jeep has made everything absolutely worth it.

With that said, the Jeep will be forsale in a few days. You may see it on eBay Motors or Autotrader looking for that Jurassic Park enthusiast that wants their own part of the movie magic. I'll keep this thread updated as long as I can, with pictures of the Museum visit coming soon.

I thank you for reading along, offering encouragements and your comments as we built this amazing vehicle over the past 2 years. Its been a blast and I'm glad you could be along for the ride.

Now lets see what I can get myself into next time!

"Welcome, to Jurassic Park"

mysteed

Post by mysteed » August 4th, 2015, 10:35 am

Wow, really nice conversion. Why the reason for selling it? Is it just time to move on to something different?

fantomas
Completed JP Jeep

Post by fantomas » August 4th, 2015, 11:26 pm

Nice job on the Jeep. For the winch I picked up a REP-8000. It was in rough shape and "didn't work" so the plan was to completely disassemble it, clean it, and paint it. The motor still worked so I was able to unspool it. I think it just had a faulty controller or maybe a bad solenoid. Long story short, the motor works fine so after putting everything back together I just respooled it with jumper cables and left the solenoid pack off completely. The Jeep is more of a show car and I have zero intention of ever using the winch.

Sad to see you're selling it.