Trying out a JP JK model

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
ChrisLev

Trying out a JP JK model

Post by ChrisLev » October 23rd, 2014, 9:23 am

Hey All,

I've always had the ambitious plans to transform a wrangler to a JP jeep. Unfortunately due to some bad luck with cars over the past few years and being short on funds, my wife and I reluctantly decided it was best to go with a new Jeep rather than an the older model, since it will be my regular commuting vehicle to work. So yea, I have a 2013 JK. But, I still have the plans to transform it close to the JP jeep. Not screen accurate, but it's what I can do with the options I have.

I've decided to start experimenting on the best way to add the red for the JK model... So far, I've started a little test area to figure out the best way to paint on the red strip near the front. Here's a pic of my progress. That red will be removed and re-applied when I finally paint the rest of it. I'm grateful for whomever came up with Plasti Dip. :D

On another note....Since this vehicle (JK) isn't screen accurate, I've even thought of painting everything that is supposed to be red, BLACK, and having an all black JP decal on the door. Maybe I'll get some black Plasti dip and try that out too? Right now that's just an idea....
Attachments
100_0817.JPG

COBrian
Completed JP Jeep

Re: Trying out a JP JK model

Post by COBrian » October 24th, 2014, 2:24 pm

I like how you laid the stripe out. Is that a 2 or 4 door? if you put the plastidip on thicker its easier to peel off. the plastidip will only last a year or so, especially if you drive it every day. mine has been on for 1.5 years, but I dont drive it everyday. It's about at the end of it's life, since there are places where it is starting to pull off. My once clean straight lines aren't so perfect anymore.
1993 Sahara - JP29 - Denver, CO

ChrisLev

Post by ChrisLev » October 24th, 2014, 5:11 pm

Thanks. Its a 2-door. And yes, the final application of plasti-dip will be much thicker. That in the picture has already been peeled off.

ausjeep

Post by ausjeep » October 24th, 2014, 6:04 pm

i think metallic blue stripes on the silver and Jurassic World logos on the doors would look pretty sweet

ChrisLev

Post by ChrisLev » November 5th, 2014, 3:47 pm

Here is my progress so far. The difficult part was timing it just right to peel off the painters tape from the Plasti Dip. I will have to go back and touch up a few edges where the paint pulled. Also, I found a supplier that makes a spice soft top for the JK model. And, just for good measure, I've attached that all black JP logo and will go with the full color one once I'm finished with everything else.
Attachments
Jeep Progress.jpg

fantomas
Completed JP Jeep

Post by fantomas » November 6th, 2014, 1:19 am

Nice. Have you thought about trying to match the angle on the back stripe with the angle on the front?

ChrisLev

Post by ChrisLev » November 6th, 2014, 8:35 am

No, I was going with the angle of the back fender.

COBrian
Completed JP Jeep

Post by COBrian » November 6th, 2014, 11:16 am

you have to pull the tape as soon as you finish spraying.. at least thats what I found... Whileit as still wet basically, as soon as it starts setting up it bonds to itself and then you get lift.

I think the stripe angles would look better if they were close to the same angle (though I realize that is hard on the new body as there is almost no room behind the front wheels)

Wow I had no idea anyone even made a spice/tan softtop for the new models.... who makes it?
1993 Sahara - JP29 - Denver, CO

ChrisLev

Post by ChrisLev » November 6th, 2014, 5:26 pm

So far, I like how the front turned out, and I didn't want to angle that part anymore than I already did. The sharp angles on the screen accurate jeeps look funny on the frame of the new JK in my opinion. Haha, this would be sooo much easier if Jeep didn't change their body style. :? Oh Well.... I did re work the back strip to closer match the front though.(will post pics later). Thanks for the tips on the Plasti-Dip. I did figure that out when I re did the back stripe. Basically,just before peeling the tape, I sprayed it and it removed quite nicely. And a company called "Rough Country" makes the Spice soft-top for this new model. They sell just the cloth and you have to attach it to the fame yourself.

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » November 8th, 2014, 6:55 am

Im with fantomas but I do see what you are talking about with the fender and door design. It might look bad with that door corner so close to that fender. Looking fantastic!
I am John Sisemore on Facebook