JP JKU?

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Mockingbird

Re: JP JKU?

Post by Mockingbird » September 16th, 2014, 11:56 am

I think the flex thing is supposed to be a CB whip. It wasn't part of the original picture from Overland Journal.

I really wish they still had the sahara tan as a color option. Due to issues with the last used truck I bought (I consider myself a halfway decent mechanic but it was a constant ball of problems) the boss has decreed that the next daily driver must be new with or pre-owned with warranty. She is tired of hauling my butt around while it is in our garage being fixed. Also spending this much on a vehicle I am gonna be picky about the options. So unless I get lucky and come across a used one set up just right (being a manual is a big deal and HTF), the current year color choices are what is on the plate.

inGen: How do you like your JKU? anything you would have done differently?

inGen

Post by inGen » September 17th, 2014, 8:08 am

You could always get a sport wrangler and get paintable fenders. The price difference between sport and sahara can be fairly large. The only real difference is wheels, leather seats, painted fenders. My sport has navigation, satellite radio, Bluetooth cloth seats and upgraded wheels/tires. It was $4,000 less (sticker price) than the sahara. Jeep makes pricing these cars very difficult since there are so many variations. Most of the time if you want a deal you have to work with what is on the lot, no custom orders. So I wouldn't be overly picky. Remember your going to be customizing it on your own anyway, may as well try to get the best deal you can and put the savings into the JP aspects of the project.

inGen

Post by inGen » September 17th, 2014, 8:25 am

inGen: How do you like your JKU? anything you would have done differently?

Wrangler is great (ride beats you to death everyday).

I went to a small jeep dealer instead of one in the city. I was the only person in the dealership and I was able to get $2,000 trade for a 98' Tahoe with 350,000 miles on it. Ended up getting a total of $6,000 off. So it pays to be strategic (also go to dealer last 2 days of the month, they have to meet sales numbers and are more willing to deal). If you are into XM radio I would recommend getting the Uconnect 730 radio (has Bluetooth). The premium sunrider softtop is nice , I would prefer a hardtop and constantly watch craigslist for one. Jeep offers a mopar lifetime protection plan for the car covers everything for the life of the car quoted it to me for $3,200. I didn't get it but could be advantageous for others.

All in all wrangler is real cool car everyone likes it and since the engine upgrade in 2012 it is now sufficiently powered with 285 hp penestar V-6. Noisy covered wagon that costs as much as a BMW 3 series but I would buy it again.

Mockingbird

Post by Mockingbird » September 17th, 2014, 2:07 pm

did a couple of quick mock-ups last night. Although I like the dune I just feel it is too close to the spice if I were to use it on the hard top. Both are super fun :D
Attachments
SilverMockUp02.jpg
SilverMockUp02.jpg (271.75 KiB) Viewed 10989 times
DuneMockUp01.jpg
DuneMockUp01.jpg (373.21 KiB) Viewed 10989 times

inGen

Post by inGen » September 18th, 2014, 8:31 am

I think the silver one may look better with a stock black hardtop. brownish beige look is a little dated. In the end you could maybe wait until june to see Jurassic world and get some inspiration from that.

ausjeep

Post by ausjeep » September 20th, 2014, 2:09 am

but... imagine...
terex031.jpg
terex031.jpg (105.55 KiB) Viewed 10976 times

kokopelli

Post by kokopelli » September 21st, 2014, 3:03 pm

Mockingbird wrote:Dune just seems so much more saturated than the original sand beige (more orange). I almost wonder if silver is closer. are you sure you weren't thinking of the desert tan color they discontinued a few years ago? I might take and put them all side by side and see what they look like. As far as the half doors...They are no more expensive than the fulls if you order them at time of purchase, but you are stuck with black for the top because no one makes spice door uppers. I keep going back and forth on that one, because I do love the half doors but that most likely is going to lock me into a black top along with the security concerns mentioned before.

Sahara Tan for 2011 (and the first 2 months of ordering for '12) is the one you're talking about, and that would be the closest... Dune, however, is the current color offered, and it is a return of the AMC '87-89 color Sand Dune Yellow, also listed as a PPG in simply 'Beige' not to be confused with 1992 only Sand Beige Low Gloss, which is the actual color of the JJ's.
Last edited by kokopelli on September 23rd, 2014, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mockingbird

Post by Mockingbird » September 22nd, 2014, 10:29 am

kokopelli: ...and for 2015 they have even removed Dune from the lineup.

ausjeep: You are killing me with the half doors man. :) They look sooooo sexy, but with the thefts that have happened in the parking garage at my work place the soft top just makes me nervous. :(

Mockingbird

Post by Mockingbird » September 29th, 2014, 10:58 am

So Step 1, get jeep is done. I pick it up today or tomorrow. Will post pics later. :) Thanks again to everyone for all their help. :)

First5.0

Post by First5.0 » September 29th, 2014, 11:42 am

Nice!