Rebel's PNW Explorer Build

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
rebel167us

Rebel's PNW Explorer Build

Post by rebel167us » April 17th, 2014, 1:09 pm

Hi guy! So the time has Finally come that I build my own JP Explorer.

I'm starting out with a 1993 Ford Explorer XLT with manual windows, 4WD, in Azure Blue for a mere $1500. Its got about 144K on the clock. Although I really wanted one with Tan interior, it was hard to come by and since my neighbor already had an Explorer, and was willing to take payments I couldn't pass it up. Living up in Washington State, its hard to find a 2wd anyhow.. So, with that said... Let the Fun Begin!

Also: I'm going for screen accurate as possible on the Exterior until I can aquire the correct interior. I'll be going with Tour Vehicle number 04.

First order of business is getting some factory/movie corrdect wheels to replace the Deer-hoof wheels.
Attachments
Can't forget the tag to make it official!
Can't forget the tag to make it official!
Isn't she lovely, isn't she Glorious!
Isn't she lovely, isn't she Glorious!

cpltony
Completed JP Jeep

Re: Rebel's PNW Explorer Build

Post by cpltony » April 17th, 2014, 6:48 pm

I hate to say it but for $1,500 I'd make sure she is mechanically sound before venturing into the conversion.
Nothing worse than spending all the money to convert it when the innards that make it go are shot.

That being said if she is mechanically sound then you are going to have a lot of fun.
Have you had thoughts on the roof bubble (if going with one)?
92 Jeep Wrangler YJ
Jeep #18
Oklahoma

fantomas
Completed JP Jeep

Post by fantomas » April 17th, 2014, 11:24 pm

I agree about making sure it's mechanically sound. There's a reason Explorers were the #1 traded in car during "cash for clunkers"..

But anyways, I look forward to seeing the conversion! I would love to do an Explorer, but wife would murder me in my sleep if I started another project....

rebel167us

Post by rebel167us » April 18th, 2014, 11:23 am

Oh I've had it checked out by a mechanic at the Ford Dealer before I bought it. She runs like a 60K 5year old car. I've got all the paperwork from when it was first purchased in a log-book. 3rd owner all in the family. An elderly gentleman bought it for his wife, he passed away and she gave it to her son who sold it to my neighbor and now I bought it.

As for the roof idea, I'm not sure I want to cut a roof up fpr something like that. Maybe make a faux bubble roof down the road.

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » April 19th, 2014, 5:28 am

oh for 1500 im sure she is fine. My parents have a great explorer with a new engine and trans but for people to even think about buying it it would have to be priced somewhere around 2 grand. People dont buy old explorers. It sucks that they dont hold value. 4 wheel drive? Looks like someone converted the hubs to manual lock. This is good. The electronic locks are known to be replaced like that for longevity.
I am John Sisemore on Facebook

rebel167us

Post by rebel167us » April 19th, 2014, 11:54 am

I believe they are Manual since its got a shifter for 4wd on the floor. The hubs say Lock and Free. Whatever that means.
Attachments
Just to make it official.
Just to make it official.
CAM00053.jpg

DrewSmith007
Site Moderator
Vehicle Make/Model: 1993 Ford Explorer

Post by DrewSmith007 » April 23rd, 2014, 9:24 pm

Welcome. $1500 isn't anything to worry about when it comes to first gen explorers. Mine was in very good shape mechanically and was $2200. A few months down the road I had some gasket issues that you would never see until it's spewing coolant...

The body seems straight, and the running boards are good close-enough's.

rebel167us

Post by rebel167us » April 29th, 2014, 11:15 pm

Sure it has small interior issues. Like the driver side window goes up and doesn't want to stay in its rubbery track, the interior door pulls are shot/missing, the Carpet is stained, Headliner has cuts in it. Exterior wise, the RH Rear door has a dent in it and that's it.

Although the wheel bearing started going out on the passenger side the day after I got it. But that will be fixed tomorrow as well as new tabs for the year.

Next week will be Tune-Up stuff and interior door pulls.
Week 2: Wheels and New Headlights!
Week 3 Start collecting proper lights
Week 4 Paid Off!
Week 5: Buy all the Tan. Fnterior peices from multiple JY's.
Week 6: Paint!

My question is... I don't remember seeing running boards on the Explorers in the movie

fantomas
Completed JP Jeep

Post by fantomas » April 29th, 2014, 11:32 pm

rebel167us wrote:
My question is... I don't remember seeing running boards on the Explorers in the movie
They were black... so kind of hard to see in a lot of the shots

rebel167us

Post by rebel167us » April 30th, 2014, 12:06 am

Ahh Now I see it! Yeah, they're pretty close. I also notice the door molding says Explorer. On mine, it doesn't say that. Actually I'm missing the Driver side one and the driver side fender molding. Also missing this black strip just below the doors as well. I think I'll just delete that at least and fill in the holes.